Chapt. 9 ~ Ties

Mute opened her eyes to the brightness of the room. Her eyes fluttered open before widening, realizing her surroundings. She shot up from the bed with a look of concern. She felt the bed herself to see if it was real or not, or to see if she was actually dreaming. 'How did I get here? What happened?' She wondered. 

"You're awake." Sebastian said from the bedroom doorway. Mute looked at him with a blank expression without saying a word. "Did you rest well, Milady?" He asked. Mute remained as she was. 

'The aura...' She looked away, keeping the same expression on her face. Sebastian gently grabbed her face to have her look at him. This made her eyes widen with concern again. What was he going to do? She was beginning to think the worse. 

"There's no need to be frightened." He said softly. Mute moved his hand away from her chin and looked away again. She began to move off the bed. Before she could take a step toward the door, Sebastian gently grabbed her arm and twirled her around to face him again and pulled her into another embrace. "And where do you think you're going? I won't let you get away this time." He whispered in her ear. 

Mute closed her eyes to keep herself calm. 'Don't make me do this...' She pleaded in her mind. She didn't want to continue this routine of harming Sebastian every single time they encounter. It'll become old and tiring for her, and she wouldn't want to deal with it for the rest of her life. It's not like she asked to be kidnapped. 

But this feeling was too warm to her. It was comforting. Like she was being put into a deep slumber. She hasn't felt this way before in a long. Sebastian smiled softly and gently stroked the top of her head. 

'No!' Her eyes suddenly shot open with a glare. Swarming shadows surrounded her like a protective shield. Sebastian was taken aback at this. Mute was defending herself. She didn't know what he would do if she were to give in so easily. 

"Oh, dear." He couldn't help but smirk when he saw his prey defending herself. He looked behind him and sighed. He looked back at Mute before exiting the room in a hurry. As soon as he left, the shadows that were surrounding Mute had faded away. Mute sat back down on the bed and sighed to herself to process things that were going on in her head.

All of this was happening too fast for her. She needed to collect her thoughts. She panicked and got defensive because she had no idea what kind of creature Sebastian was like. So it would be best for her to keep her distance. Yet is this too good to be true?

Mute has been in this mansion before, but why did Sebastian bring her back? She wondered. Mute stood up from the bed and opened the door to look out and find the hallway empty. She figured Sebastian would be right outside with the way he acted towards her. She knew this mansion almost by heart, so she knew where to go. But why couldn't she just leave? She's done it before. But, then again, she doesn't want to keep playing this game of cat & mouse.

Without giving it a second thought, Mute returned back home. She appeared in the middle of the living room, right where Miko was. "Mute?" She blinked when seeing her friend suddenly appear in front of her. "I thought you were still in your room." Mute sighed at her friend's comment and dropped to her knees. Miko quickly rushed to her aid. "What's wrong?"

Mute could only shake her head and rest her hand on Miko's arm, telling her that everything was alright and that she was tired. 'I can't let her know. I don't want to trouble her.' Mute thought.

"Where have you been all night?"

Mute pointed to the window, gesturing that she was out and about.

"But to come back in such a rush like how you just did? Did something happen?" Mute shook her head, clearly lying. Miko gave Mute a long stare as a hum escaped her lips. Sighing in defeat, Miko replied, "Well, if you're hungry, food is in the kitchen waiting for you. I have to meet with an acquaintance of mine. Would you like to come along, or would you rather stay here for the day?"

"Hmm..." Mute held her chin in thought before looking back at Miko, followed by a nod.

"Well, hurry up and eat so we can leave. I want to get this over and done with." Miko tiredly sighed before leaving the room. Mute did as she was told and grabbed a small snack from the kitchen, and exited the house with Miko. What are the odds of running into Sebastian again, right? But, somehow, she knew that he was close by.

"What!? What do you mean it's too plain!?" The man, a writer, exclaimed with disbelief in his voice.

"I was quite clear. There isn't enough detail for our readers to become interested. How do you plan to catch your readers' attention with such boring material?" Miko sighed with disappointment.

'She's so cruel.' Mute comments in her head. This was the first time seeing her friend act this way towards anybody besides herself. She always thought she was mischievous towards her but not to anybody. But in her defense, Mute doesn't get out much.

"B-B-But, I thought what I wrote was outstanding!" The writer trying to sell his novel cried out.

"Outstanding? This is more of a beginner's story." Miko scoffs.

'Was she always like this?' Mute thought again. She rolled her eyes and began to wander around the room for a bit until it was time for them to leave. The time had passed by rather quick as Mute tuned out the conversation. The two ladies talked out of the building and walked side by side together, walking home. While crossing over a small bridge, Mute stopped and looked across to see a few men running. 'Didn't know humans could stand a cold weather like this...' This world still seems to surprise her in many ways the more social she becomes.

"Mute? Are you coming?" Miko called out from the far end of the bridge that they were on. Mute looked toward her friend before catching up to her. As the two made it home, Mute went straight to bed. She had a really long day, and all she wanted to do now was rest and fall into slumber.

Mute crawled into her bed and curled up in her covers, allowing the darkness to consume her. She felt like she could sleep her for ages. But then again, her mentality was also tired. As Mute stirred in her sleep, she felt a very odd presence in her room. At first, she figured it was her paranoia, so she ignored it. But suddenly, it felt colder. Despite being wrapped in a warm blanket.

'He's close by...'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~