Chapt. 23 ~ Failed Vacation

The following morning came, and Sebastian was getting prepared for the day. The moment he opened his bedroom door, Mute stood on the other side. This surprised him. "Good morning, Milady." He greeted. Mute nodded her head and closed her eyes, greeting him a 'good morning' back. "Was there something you needed to see me for? Is something the matter?" He asked worried. 

"No. I don't sleep, and I got tired of roaming the mansion all night. I didn't know your room was located so far away from the others." She replied with a nod. 

"You were roaming the mansion all night?" 

Mute nodded again. "And I know demons don't need sleep either, seeing how they are nocturnal creatures.... What's wrong with you?" She narrowed her eyebrows when looking at Sebastian's face. She could tell that something was on his mind. His face was too...dead. 

"Nothing..." Sebastian slowly shook his head. 

'Then don't tell me. But I can't shake the feeling... He's hiding something...' Mute lowly sighed. She could feel as though something as off. She wanted to tell him. But he had his duties. 

"Have you ever been to Paris, Milady?" Sebastian suddenly asked, breaking the silence. Mute blinked and tiled her head before shaking it. "Today we will be taking a trip. I hope you do join us. Please excuse me." With that said, Sebastian stepped beside Mute and left. 

'That was odd.' Mute sighed again. Not before long, everything was packed and ready to go. Ciel, Sebastian, and Mute were on the boat ride to their destination. Mute kept her distance, preferred to be in a shady part of the deck. 

"So, she decided to join us after all." Ciel comments as he glanced at her. 

"I thought it would it be a good idea for her to be out and away from the others. She seems to be enjoying herself from a distance." Sebastian replied. After a short while, the 3 of them explored a nearby museum for sight-seeing. 

Mute stared at the statue with a dull look. 'If Miko was here, she would insult this thing or set it on fire somehow... It's supposed to resemble an angel?' Mute tilted her head to the side before walking off to join Ciel and Sebastian as they were walking away. Just a few steps away. Mute widened her eyes when she felt a chill down her spine. 

"Mute? What's wrong?" Ciel turned to ask her. A scream was heard and the statue that was known to be an 'Angel' burst out of its container and began flying around the museum. Its wings knocked out the lights, making the room dark. Sebastian quickly got in front of Ciel and Mute. "What's going on?!" 

Mute began to lowly growl at the situation. 'Follow me.' Mute grabbed onto Ciel's hand and ran off into a random direction. Without thinking, Ciel ran with Mute in order to get out of the dark. He panted as the two of them were outside. Mute looked around as her eyes landed at the fountain just a few feet away. Just behind the falling water, she could see a familiar face. The Angel's face. 

"You see her too, don't you?" Ciel said, looking in the same direction. Mute nodded her head in response. "Let's go." Ciel took off running, and Mute followed behind him. 

'He knows the Angel?' She thought to herself. Mute watched Ciel take the elevator up tot eh Eiffel tower before she flew up to the top. 'He's here. Why? This has to be a trap.' Mute couldn't help but wonder as she made her way to the top. 'Where are you?' 

She glanced around and turned around just to see Ash sitting on one of the bars of the tower. "There you are, my sweet." He smirked. Mute glared at him and took a step back from him. "Awww. You are not happy to see me? How awful." Ash teased as he leaped down. 

Mute backed away as he landed just a few feet away from her. "Bastard! You made me remember!" She growled, her voice roaring. 

"I did it to cleanse you." 

'Cleanse me!? You're mistaken!' She shut her eyes and shadows stretched out from her back. Ash jumped away to avoid the attack. 

Kill him 

Mute attacked Ash ruthlessly. Without giving him time to react. The ruckus she made caught the attention of Ciel and Queen Victoria as they were elsewhere in the Eiffel Tower. It even caught Sebastian's attention when he was finished dealing with the angelic monkey. 

Mute didn't care about exposure or anything. She was in rage. "Would you like some assistance, Milady?" Mute turned her head when hearing Sebastian's voice. A set of knives were thrown at Ash, causing him to draw his sword. 

Mute went back to glaring at Ash as she continued to attack him. She screamed out loud like a banshee. Ash dodged the soundwave just in time as it hit against the metal of the tower, causing it to break. Sebastian chased after Ash as it was now 2 against 1. 

"Stop! Stop it! Ciel! Tell him to stop! Please!" Queen Victoria screamed out in horror. 

Mute punched the ground and shadows guided their ways toward Ash. The shadows became solid and thrashed around in attempt to slash Ash. But this was causing too much attention. With the mess they were making, the materials that were falling were nearly hitting the citizens below. 

Sebastian quickly grabbed Mute just as she was about to attack Ash once more. Mute screamed and struggled against the demon's hold. Her eyes were glowing, and a strange black marking began to appear on her face. Mute watched Ash escape with Queen Victoria in her arms. She thrashed out of Sebastian's grasp and levitated herself down in front of Ciel. She glared, but not at him. 

"Mute..." Ciel frowned. He could see the rage and pain in her eyes. Almost as if he could feel what she was feeling. Mute averted her eyes and began to walk off. Neither of them expected to run into Ash. 

Mute, Ciel, and Sebastian returned to the hotel they were staying at. Mute was resting in a separate room since they had they a King's Suite. Mute was sitting on the bed with her head down while deep in thought. Her eyes glanced at the doorway when she heard the doors open. 

"Are you alright?" Sebastian asked as he walked over to her. Mute nodded her head in response. "You have a grudge against him, don't you?" 

She nodded. 

"What did he do to you?" 

"......Do you know how Angels do their jobs? Of cleansing one's soul or some nonsense like that?" Mute turned her head a little. "I'm not human... Yet I was able to remember..." Mute closed her eyes and sighed. Sebastian walked around the bed and stood in front of her. Mute kept her head down and her eyes low.

"I am terribly sorry..." Sebastian whispered to her ear. This caught Mute off guard because of the tone in his voice. It sounded like he was wounded. Slowly, Mute raised her hand and cupped the side of her his head. 

That night all was quiet. Ciel was asleep and the two night creatures were in their own rooms. Mute stared at the dark sky as she silently hummed to herself. She looked back the reflection and saw a purple spark, causing her to turn around. "Shh!" 

Miko quickly placed her hand over Mute's mouth while using the other hand to place a finger to her own lips. "What's going on?" Mute blinked as she removed her friend's hand from her mouth.

"There's no time to explain...." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~