Chapt. 37 ~ To Take Back What Was Lost

It was still night out. Mute wandered through the forest not too far from the Trancy Estate. She was panting heavily. With each breath she took she could see her own breath. Her eyes were now yellow, and her skin was much paler than before. 6 tendrils were sprawled out from her back and her hands were blackened, along with a fire black marking appearing on her face. Her dress was torn from the knees down, and she was also barefoot. 

Blood dropped from her blackened hands as she took one step after the other. Her low growls could be heard throughout the forest, scaring away any animal that had been lurking nearby. 'Why...' She growled with her thoughts, her voice mutilated between a demon's and her own. 'Everybody wants to hurt the pretty little thing... What did I ever do to keep getting mistreated in any sort of way that they see fit!?' 

Mute screamed while knocking over a full-grown tree with her blackened hand. 'I killed before... I've killed many creatures before I was like this!' She knocked over another tree, this time it was one of her tendrils doing the deed. 'How many more lives do I have to take!?' 

She covered her eyes and grunted when images flashed in her head. Each one was her when she was human. An image of herself being man-handled. An image of her crying. An image of her bruised and curled on the floor. An image with her sitting against a bookshelf. And another image of her holding a bloody covered knife. Each picture in her head made her cry out. 

I never wanted to become this monster...

'I never wanted to kill... I never wanted to shed somebody else's blood... I was once good... Human...' 

A twig snapped into two, causing Mute to scream in the direction where she had heard the sound. Her scream was a like a banshee, ripping away the bushes from its roots. The space was empty, but Mute kept her guard up. 

"Crying really doesn't suit you, Maeve." 

Her eyes widened when hearing her real name. 'You...' Her expression softened when seeing Undertaker step out of the shadows. She dropped to her knees, relieved to see a face she could trust. Undertaker walked over to the weeping creature and examined her features. "What are you doing here?..." Mute couldn't help but ask. 

"If this is how you keep a low profile on yourself, I must say, this surely isn't the best method, my dear! Hehehe~" Undertaker replied with his infamous giggle. Mute lifted her head up for her demonic yellow eyes to meet his emerald, green ones. "Whatever has you in this state?" He extended his hand out and held her chin with his curled index finger and the tip of his thumb resting on her chin. 

Mute whimpered again and closed her eyes, letting more tears spill down her cheeks. "I didn't want to... I-I was overwhelmed, and I needed to protect myself!" She cried out the last part of her sentence. 

"Shhh shhh breathe for me, darling..." Undertaker's soothing voice reached her spiraling mind. "Then what happened?" 

"I tore him apart... He will regenerate, despite my attacks on him... Once I saw what I did to his body, I couldn't control it...! The bloodlust. I wanted more, but I couldn't do it!" Mute shoved herself away and covered her eyes again, balling her hands into fist in the process. "So I came out here, hoping to get rid of  it... But all I could see was-"