Chapter 33: Redeemer

My mouth dropped open. Maybe from the pain, maybe from the shock. Probably from a bit of both. 

Sasha's eyes flicked towards my fingers, bent and twisted cruelly on the grey, cement floor. Her frowned deepened. 

I tried to catch her eyes with mine. The wild desperation, the pain, the confusion. She refused to meet my eyes though, quickly turning her attention to Danny. 

"What is it Sasha. We're busy," Danny said impatiently. 

"This can't wait," Sasha squeaked out. Her voice was mousy as she moved to whisper something in Danny's ear. 

Everyone watched Danny's facial expression change from unbothered and impatient to nervous and then finally urgent. Sasha stepped away from him and he straightened up nodding to her. 

"Everyone out. Meeting outside." 

Kevin reluctantly stood up, tucking the bloody hammer between his belt and faded jeans. Jade just looked disapprovingly towards Sasha but went to leave immediately. Danny ushered the two of them towards the door while Sasha hesitated. She turned to leave behind Danny but I realized then that even if she had betrayed me she was Leighton and my only hope. 

It didn't matter that she was dating Danny now, or conspiring with him. We had a history of being friends. We had a history of sharing secrets and drunken thoughts with Sierra far into the early mornings. Maybe it was the desperation talking but I was convinced that Sasha was the only one that could help us. She wasn't like Jade who held resentment towards Leighton. She wasn't crazy like Kevin. She wasn't an abuser like Danny. And even if she had a lapse in judgement I couldn't be mad at her now when I needed her the most. I had to try at least. I had to try to give her the ground work for her redemption arc. Even if I wasn't so sure that she deserved it. 

"Sasha, wait," I managed to get out. My head and hand were throbbing. Talking seemed impossible to think about now that the words were out of my mouth but adrenaline still coursed through my body and I had to take advantage before it was too late. 

Sasha stopped in her tracks and turned around to face me. So did Danny. Sasha looked at me now, her eyes meeting my own. I couldn't read the expression that rested there though. It was a blankness rolling off of her that I didn't have the energy to decipher. 

Danny looked between the two of us for a moment and then let out a laugh. 

"Oh, yeah. I forgot about this. Autumn, meet my new girlfriend. She's a lot more obedient then you ever were. I do miss your feistiness but she doesn't piss me off like you did." 

He waved to get Sasha's attention. "Ten minutes baby. Then meet me outside. Take anymore time and I'll drag you out of here myself." 

Sasha just nodded obediently. Her eyes still fixed on me. We stayed like that, the two of us looking at each other as we listened to Danny's receding footsteps and then finally the latch of the door as it closed, leaving the three of us alone, together. 

Sasha's eyes began to water, her expression cracking as soon as the threat of Danny was gone. 

"Sasha," I whispered as I watched her try not to crumble in front of me. I knew a million things were running through her head. My mind was on fire, running through every single word I was supposed to speak. Ten minutes was not enough time to relay what had happened between us, what was happening now and how we could ever fix this. 

Leighton was silent against his piller, focusing on his strained breathes. 

"Sasha, please. You have to help us. Please. There is no one else that will," I said. My heart was pounding in my throat.