chapter 19🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋

Chris

She looks so happy. I can't help but wonder what she's dreaming of, for she looks so happy in her slumber. But then again, happiness is such a fleeting emotion, and I can't help but worry that whatever she's dreaming of might lead to a fight.

In my dream from a moment ago, she stands before me in the kitchen, her cheek marred with a small scratch and tears streaming down her face. She glares at me with anger and hurt in her eyes, and her words cut through me like a knife. "You've changed, Chris. You're not the man I married. Look at yourself! You've become a monster!"

I am stunned by her words, and I can feel my heart racing in my chest. "A monster? How dare you call me a monster!?" I retort, my voice shaking with emotion. "At least I'm not a pill-popping wreck!" As soon as the words leave my mouth, I regret them.

I shouldn't have said that.

She shoves me out the door and slams it in my face, leaving me standing on the doorstep, trying to make sense of what just happened. I bang on the door, desperate to talk to her, but she doesn't answer.

Feeling lost and alone, I get into my car and drive away, hoping that some distance might help us both calm down.

I shouldn't have done that.

I come home much later, and as I slowly open the door, I can hear the sound of running water. I make my way to the bathroom and slowly open the door, unsure of what to expect.

As I enter the bathroom, my eyes quickly scan the space, noticing the water pooling on the floor and the steam rising from the tub. Confused, I take a step closer to investigate, and that's when I see her.

She's lying in the tub with her head resting on the edge and one arm dangling over the side. The water is still running, and it takes me a moment to realize what's happening. Panic sets in as I notice an empty pill bottle lying on the ground beside the tub as if it fell out of her hand.

This shouldn't have happened.

As I saw her lying in the bathtub, shivering and wet, I knew I had to act fast. Without hesitating, I picked her up in my arms and wrapped her in a soft, dark blue towel.

I quickly made my way to the car, starting the engine, and sped out of the driveway. I drove as fast as I could, weaving through the traffic and making it to the hospital in half the usual time.

I should've watched her.

As soon as I entered the hospital, the staff rushed over to assist me. Being the owner of the hospital had its perks, and I was grateful for the VIP service in this moment of crisis.

I stayed outside her room, anxiously waiting for the doctors to return and update me on her condition. The hours felt like an eternity, and my mind was filled with worries and questions as I blast the song 'before you go' by Lewis Capaldi through my ears.

It should've been me.