Chapter 13🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋

Mariposa

I sink into the bed and take a look around. This place is stunning, and I can't help but feel grateful for the comfort it provides, even though I don't remember it yet. It kinda makes up for it. Chris places our bags on the ground, then sits next to me with a gentle smile. He turns on the TV and navigates to Netflix.

"What would you like to watch, darling?" he asks, facing me with his back against the wall. I follow his lead and respond, "Hmm, how about Grey's Anatomy? I saw some clips on TikTok." He selects the show and plays the first episode.

As I watch, I notice that the main character, Meredith, reminds me of Malachi. They behave similarly. Derek, on the other hand, reminds me of Delilah. I chuckle to myself, and Chris raises an eyebrow. "What's so funny, Sarah?" he asks, still grinning. It gives him a slightly smug look.

"I just think the characters remind me of your hospital staff," I reply, giggling even more. I lean into him, feeling comfortable even though something still seems off.

Chris pulls me onto his lap, and my back rests against his chest. This position might seem intimate to some, but it feels innocent and comforting to me. Ever since we 'met' in the hospital, he's been nothing but gentle with me.

I lean my head back a bit, using his shoulder as a pillow. He turns his head to kiss my cheek. I smile and look back at the TV. It's still funny to see the similarities between them and the doctors who took care of me. It's almost like a gender-swapped, alternate universe. Derek is kinda hot, but don't tell Chris I said that.

The first episode ends and I look at Chris, realizing he fell asleep. I guess now is as good a time as any to look around. I pause the show as I gently remove myself from his lap.

I start by opening the drawers on my side of the bed. The top is filled with pajamas, including some more... exposing ones. I'm gonna guess Chris bought them, but who knows? I certainly don't. I go to the drawers under it. They are side by side and deeper than the top one. The left one has art supplies piled in it. The right one is an underwear drawer. The clothes in this one are just as interesting as the ones in the top drawer.

I go back to the left drawer, pulling out a sketchbook. They say that when you draw, it connects to your subconscious. Maybe if I draw, some of it'll come back to me. I grab some paint and brushes, along with a piece of cardboard from the drawer. Based on the paint splatters, I can only assume it's supposed to keep from making a mess.

I grab my phone and connect my earbuds. The first song to play is 'Wolf in Sheep's Clothing' by 'Set It Off.'

Beware, Beware, Be skeptical, of their smiles, their smiles of plated goal, deceit so natural, but a Wolf in Sheep's Clothing is more than a warning.

I rip a piece of paper from the pad and set it on the board, setting the sketchbook to the side.

Ba, Ba, Black sheep, have you any soul? No sir, by the way, what the hell are morals? Jack, be nimble, Jack, be quick
Jill's a little whore, and her alibis are turning tricks.

I pick up a drawing pencil, holding it gently in my hand. I start drawing, not really thinking about what it might be.

So could you
Tell me how you're sleeping easy?
How you're only thinking of yourself? (Of yourself)
Show me how you justify
Telling all your lies like second nature
Listen, mark my words, one day (one day)
You will pay, you will pay
Karma's gonna come collect your debt

As I continue, I notice I seem to be drawing an image of a girl in a simple dress. It feels like I don't have control of my movements anymore, almost as if something has possessed me. I stare at the picture as I grab the paint.

Aware, Aware, You stalk your prey, with criminal mentality. You sink your teeth into the people you depend on, infecting everyone. You're quite the problem.

I begin painting, still not really knowing where this is going. As I continue, I watch the transformation. I paint the dress blue. I finish the painting and finally gain control. I tilt my head as I look down at it. It looks like... Sophie?

 Sophie?