chapter 2🦋🦋

Mariposa

The doctors have mostly cleared out, except for one woman and one man. Based on body language, I believe the woman is the doctor, and there's no way that man Is a doctor, considering he was the one drawing blood when they were running around. Maybe he's a student or a nurse. We all know Doctors can't draw blood to save their life. The man and woman were talking to me, though they stopped when they realized I couldn't hear them. They are talking to the strange man.

The man smiled softly at me, his pearly white teeth showing, with tears in his eyes. He looks like a wreck. His brownish-blonde hair is tussled, sticking up in random places. He's nodding along with the man and woman, seemingly giving short replies.

The two nod, then walk out of the room, as the man steps closer. He moves slowly as if approaching a cornered animal. The ringing sound is finally fading. He sits in a large, dusty chair beside me, sinking into the yellowish cushion, which clearly used to be white.

The man sets his hand on top of mine, sending chills through my spine, due to the coldness. I look at him curiously, watching a tear run down his tan cheek. I open my mouth. "Who... are...you....?" I struggle to get the words out. My voice sounds alien. It's raspy, but I seem to have an American accent. It almost sounds like music. He looks into my eyes, with his greyish-blue eyes. "I am your husband, Chris Monroe. Do you remember who you are?"

He looks at me with a certain look in his eyes that I can't decipher. I shake my head slightly. He nods, "Your name is Sarah Monroe. You are 31. I am 34. Do you remember where you are?" I shake my head again. He seems so calm about this, which I really don't understand.

"We are in Portorosso, Italy. At the Monroe Hospital. We're in the ICU, on the first floor." Monroe hospital? Does he own this place? That'd explain why the doctors didn't push him out of the room earlier. "You've been here for 6 months" 6 months? But it seemed like so much longer. This doesn't make sense.... maybe time is just distorted when you are unconscious..?

Now for the next question... "what... happened...?" He hesitates to answer, biting his lip. He sits for a moment before speaking, "You were being stalked. The man tried to kidnap you. He stuffed you in his trunk, but he was drunk and crashed the car. By the time they found you in the wreckage, you were half dead... " He has a pained expression on his face, his brows pinched together. I stared in shock. "A-A stalker? What... What happened to him...?"

He pauses again. "He died in the crash, love. You're safe now." He strokes my hand with his thumb. I feel like I'm missing something, like I don't have all the facts. This man... chris... seems to be all I have right now. I guess I just have to trust him...

 I guess I just have to trust him