Chapter Nine

Sitting in the living room a few days later I was making hand documented files of the activities and plans that the Salvatorini Familia needed to focus on, and how we could strengthen the business now that there was no legal cover for the multibillion dollar business I ran. I had also thought about what Matteo had suggested, and it scared me to a degree. Alvaro Vichiorggio wasn't a man I was willing to entertain. He was a cold man, a brutal man, a man that wasn't known for any kindness, even his wife was known to be a killer. Supposedly she was as good at fighting as he was. The Famiglia was also smarter in how they did business and all of it was a secret. Publicly the Vichiorggio's owned a construction company, and a few other businesses, they made most of their money legally, it was the protection they offered that was a majorly exploited opportunity they had captured and smuggling weapons, money, liquor, and many other things that weren't legal into and out of the country. I had never met the 'man in black' but I didn't want to, I'd only ever seen him once, and he was a child, we both were. The difference I'd killed by then, the look in his eyes hadn't scared me then, but his lack of reaction to the conversation that the New York and Genoa Mob were having, got me to wonder just what he'd experienced, perhaps it was worse then me and my siblings.

My father had met with him just before I'd killed the man. Alvaro was Underboss having taken over for his father at eighteen, Underboss of an entire city, he had more power then I did at eighteen, not even an adult and he was more powerful then I had been for many years. My father had told me that the Vichiorggio Underboss was a fucking monster. That had reminded me just how influential Alvaro was, my father ruled Liguria a territory of a million and a half people, had to be Don, to hold power of the same amount of people as Alvaro did at nearly a third the age. The remembrance of that fact made me smirk involentarily as I considered the limited information I knew of Alvaro by memory since the media in the states didn't have anything useful.

My old fucker of a father must have hated that a teenager was more powerful then him.

"Stalking our cousin," Matteo says appearing behind me, and I glanced at him.

"Third cousin," I say knowing knowing our families were connected four generations ago since our great grandmother's brother carried the Vichiorggio name, and she had until being married to our great grandfather Francesco Salvatorini, her brother went to New York on the RMS Titanic. Though being saved from the water after jumping must have been a nice way to create the unchallenged groups in New York and joined the Lucchese Famiglia.

"He's still a scary fucker," Matteo says as he rounded the living room and sat down across from me with his feet up on the sofa which I didn't want his dirty shoes on my expensive seats, though I knew it wouldn't do anything if I told him not to.

"On that we agree," I say remembering that there was a Vichiorggio in Italy he was the Underboss for the entire Island, and as much as I may have not wanted to admit it, it was the only territory I didn't actually control as Luciano Vichiorggio, was one of a pair of brothers who were cousins of Alvaro, the other was Mariano and he was a Capo in Catania one of the cities in Sicily. It had been a favour, one I had approved near the beginning of my second year as Don when Mariano had come to me after revealing the connection the former Capo had to a pirate group that was selling drugs.

Drugs, human trafficking, and sex work were the three things I'd never approve in the Familia.

I was also glad I never had to meet Alvaro in the early days he, and his family were known for their brutality. Clearly we were related on that merit alone.

"Who's a scary fucker," Arianna's voice filled the room and I watched Matteo glance away faster then I'd ever seen him, then I realized why. Aria stood in the doorway wrapped in a towel, though she clearly was going swimming, not naked under the fabric, though I appreciated Matteo's respect.