41

December 21, 2023
Arias POV

My mom has picked me up from Sages house and now we're back home. She didn't feel like cooking tonight so she decided to pick up a pizza on the way home.

She actually got me and my siblings each our own individual pizza, except they're small. Like it's only four slices. Which I don't mind, because knowing me I won't eat much of it, but that doesn't mean I won't try to!

"Nicole and Atticus!" She yelled as we got inside and to the kitchen. "Come downstairs. It's a pizza night!"

The two offsprings came rushing down the stairs, sitting at the table immediately.

"Did you get me a plain pizza?" Atticus signs.

"There was a bit of pepperoni," I said. "If you don't want to try it, take the topping off and give it to me."

Atticus told us the other day he wants to try new foods. All his life he's only eaten a plain cheese pizza because of the way other toppings look to him. I guess my mom decided to test him today.

I watched him as he took a bite of a slice with a pepperoni in it. After a few chews I thought he wanted to spit it out, but he actually swallowed it.

"Opinions?" Nicole asks.

"I like it," he responded, continuing to eat that same slice.

I open my box of pizza and see I get my favorite topping on it....

Bacon. Just bacon.

I'm also a picky eater, but we don't speak about me.

Everyone goes silent eating their pizza, so maybe this is a good time to tell them.

"I actually have something to-"

Suddenly, moms phone rings. Why must I be interrupted again?

"Hold that thought, Aria," she said. "This may be something important. I'll be right back."

"Where are you going?" Nicole asks.

"To my office, just sit here."

Mom goes to her office, so I'm just sitting here with Nicole and Atticus, which they're still devouring their pizza.

*5 minutes later*

My mom finally comes back from her office, while my siblings have gotten through three quarters of their pizza. I have finished a quarter. Making progress!

"I have news for all of you," my mom says.

Me and my siblings have our heads snap towards her. I wonder what I've gotten interrupted for...

"I officially have a stay at home job! Meaning I'll be home all the time!"

Me and my siblings all run up to hug my mom, because this is what we've been wanting for the last couple of months. Like, ever since me and Atticus started school.

Fun fact, me and him are only a year and a day apart. He's in ninth grade, but since he's special needs he goes to a special school.

"Wait, so what does this mean?" Nicole asks.

"Well, what do you want to know?"

"What time are you going to be working?" I asked.

"The minute Atticus and you leave for school, so I'll start at 7 since that's when he leaves," she responds. "My shift is over once you two get home, or at least when y'all's school day is over. Aria, your school day is officially done at 3:05, so I'll be working for 8 hours a day. This way, all my attention goes on you guys and I don't get home like an hour after you."

"Will you be paid less?" Nicole asks.

"Nope, I'm actually getting paid a bit more."

"How are you going to do your job here?" Atticus signs.

"Computer. They're providing me with one from the company. I'm just doing Zoom meetings and documenting things."

I think she just answered all of our questions with no hesitation.

But the "focus more on us" part is what's getting me. Does that mean I can just tell her at such a random time now? Because obviously I'm not going to tell her right now. This is her moment.

"We're so happy for you," Atticus signed.

"Indeed," Nicole replied. "This way, we can spend more time together than just every other Sunday."

I'm happy for my mother too, but I just don't know what to say. This means she might pay even more attention to me and track more of my moves.

Also, she looks so happy and I'm scared to say anything that will screw up the moment.

*20 minutes later*

I head up to my room and just turn my LEDs to blue and listen to the playlist me and Sage created.

Nicole comes into my room, and just stands at my doorway.

"Hello there?" I said, confused.

"I know you're hiding something," she said. "The way you walked away as soon as you finished eating is saying something."

I don't want to tell her. What if she tells mom? I wanna be the one to do that.

"I'm fine," I said. "Me and Sage were just doing a lot of things today so I'm kinda tired out."

"Do you promise that's all?" She asked. "You were trying to say something at dinner and then you just didn't say anything at all."

"What I was going to say wasn't very important, so I'm not really bummed out about anything."

"Olay then." She takes a look at my TV and sees the playlist. "You and Sage made a playlist?"

"Yeah, we decided to combine our music taste to see how bipolar it would be."

"From the looks of it, it's too damn bipolar. Anyways, I'm gonna go finish work, so see you later."

"Bye," I said.

Nicole is majoring in business, so she must have a lot of work to do. But I feel that she's suspicious of me and Sage. Because why else would she say something about the playlist which had nothing to do with our conversation?