33

December 4, 2023
Aria's POV

Last night was... I can't explain it.

I kissed someone who I never thought I would. Sage. The girl that I've been pining over from the day I started talking to her. Its been two months, almost three.

Well, we've kissed before, obviously. But this time we're not in denial about anything. I hope...

It's currently 9 AM. We both just woke up, but I'm still going to pretend to be asleep, just so I can lay in her arms a bit longer.

"I know you're awake," she says.

Darn. I was getting away with it for a second.

"Good morning," I say, looking into her eyes and seeing her adorable smile.

"You sleep well?" she asks.

"Yeah, what about you?"

"Slept great actually."

"That's good."

We're just looking at each other dead in the eyes. Why do we always do this? I have no clue.

She pulls me in by my waist and places a kiss on my lips.

As she pulls away (Which I wish she wouldn't), she runs her fingers through my hair.

"I've got a question," she says.

"Shoot."

"What does this mean to you? Like, the kissing?"

"What do you mean?"

"Does it feel weird to you? It doesn't to me! I just want to know how you feel about it."

"Well it's new to me, for one. You're the only girl I've had a crush on. I really value out friendship and all, but I just feel that maybe we can go deeper than that."

"Like girlfriends?"

"Well, maybe not that far yet."

She looks so confused, or upset? I can't tell.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"Well, I've had my heart broken by two people before, and obviously I know you're not like that. It's just.. it's probably a bit too soon for us to make anything official."

"Ah, okay."

"You're not upset about it, are you?"

"No, of course not. If you want to take it slow, then that's what we'll do. I can't force you to be in a relationship with me in an instant."

"Well how did you feel?" I ask. Her thoughts about us kissing are important as well.

"Aria, I don't know how to explain it but, I just know that I like you. Like I seriously like you. This is all very new to me as well. When you kissed me it felt really meaningful to me. Its just that I'm scared."

"Of what?"

".. Well, first time, I think I was just scared of the fact that I forced you to kiss me? And now I'm more worried about your mental state. I know it's probably not much of my place to say anything, but you're going through a lot right now, and I'm scared that by being in a relationship with you, it just adds more of a burden."

"I understand. To be honest that's kinda what I meant by taking things slow. But, I am getting help. Professionally. Mind you I already go to therapy, and I was doing well, until.. you know."

"Yeah, I know."

"We'll see. My mental health will most likely improve. I just want to wait and see."

"And I'll be waiting for you to be done waiting."

I hug her tightly and just lay in her warm embrace. I don't want to leave this feeling.

I don't want to move so slow with this though. I know if I keep her waiting she'll just give up.

"Can I take you out on a date?" I ask.

She looks at me, in a way that might just say "Please do."

"I'd be honored if you did," she says.

"Okay then. Next Saturday is going to be amazing."

"Of course it will. I'll be with you."

As we lay in my bed, just holding each other and smiling, I can't help but think of how lucky I am right now.

Sage Beckett, the prettiest girl in school (My opinion), is with me, and I get to take her on a date next Saturday.

"Wait, Aria?"

"Yes?"

"I know this sounds.. odd. Maybe a bit bad. But, can we keep this a secret? Just until we-"

"Sage, you do not need to explain yourself. Of course we can."

"Okay. But can we at least just tell very close friends? Like, people we know we can trust?"

"Yeah, why not?"

I understand why she'd want to keep this secret, except to our close friends. We both said it ourselves. We're new to this. We at least want to time figure ourselves out first.

Not only that, but what we do isn't anyone else's business. We don't own an explanation to anyone.