16

November 19, 2023
Arias POV

Me and Sage had an epic sleepover this weekend. I only stayed over Friday night and came home yesterday around 6. Usually me and my family would have something to do today, since we're mainly productive on Sundays, but instead we're having a chill day at home.

"Aria!" My mom called from downstairs.

"Yes!?"

"Come here!"

Am I in trouble? I pray not. I've been innocent all weekend.

Well, kinda. Does that kiss count?

I go downstairs into my moms office. "How much is your trip again? I'm about to write the check for it."

"It's $150."

"Huh, that's oddly cheap. Y'all are going to DC, right?"

"Yeah, but the money we're paying is the cost of the room. There's only two people per room, so it's $150 for me, $150 for whoever else I'm sharing with. It's most likely going to be Sage."

"Ah okay, that makes sense. You never told me you and your father had an argument the other day. He just sent money as an apology."

"Of course he did. It's his alternate way of apologizing."

My mom glanced at me, confused.

"What?" I ask.

"What we're you guys arguing over?"

"I asked him if we could meet up sometime in December. I would've said sometime while I'm on Thanksgiving break, but I felt like that was a bit too last minute. He got upset because I was supposed to have seen him a while ago. Which I completely understand, but he has to realize I'm trying my hardest. I'm only 15, being the only one making an effort in our relationship."

My mom takes off her glasses, and rubs her head as if she has a headache.

"What's wrong?" I inquired, confused and worried.

"Aria," my mom starts off, with a very sorrowful tone. "Did he ever tell you why he reacted that way?"

"No? He hasn't even spoke to me since. I reach out to him and he leaves me on read."

"That asshole," she mumbles under her breath.

Nicole then walks in. "I need your opi-" she trails off. "What's going on here?"

"I don't know, I'm confused myself."

"Its about her dad," my mom says.

"Oh no..." Nicole whispers.

"What is going on? Guys can you stop making me more scared?"

"Mom, do you want me to tell her?" Nicole asks.

"Please do."

"Okay so... Aria."

"Yes?" Where is this conversation going?

"Your dad has lung cancer, and it's terminal. Meaning there's nothing he can do about it. Treatment won't work at all. He can die at any moment, but he didn't find out until three weeks ago."

"What-?"

"I'm sorry hon," my mom says.

"No. There's no way. Please tell me you guys are messing with me. He would've told me, right?"

"Well that's the thing I'm confused about," Nicole says, with a kinda pissed tone. "Why didn't he tell you? And from what I'm hearing, is that he got mad at you the other day?"

"Yes, that's exactly what happened. He would've explained himself though."

"I'm gonna have a talk with him," my mom said in an aggressive manner. "He has no right to be mad at you, but also no right to hide something like this from you."

We all fell silent for a moment. I'm so confused. How did he only find out three weeks ago? Why didn't he tell me?

"Here, Aria," my mom finally spoke, breaking the silence. "Put the check and permission slip in your folder. Go upstairs for a moment. I need to talk things out with your dad."

"Okay..."

I go back to my room and flop on my bed. Staring in the ceiling in disbelief, distraught, and whole bunch of other emotions that I can't seem to identify.

I'm so confused. Why didn't he tell me? Why won't he make an effort to see me if he probably doesn't have much time left? Why is he getting mad at me so easily?

Is this why he's mad that I can't really see him until December?

You know what, I'll try to see him over Thanksgiving break then.

Suddenly I receive a text from Sage.

(Sage) So I kinda wanted to talk about Friday...

(Me) what about it?

(Sage) Just please pretend it didn't happen. I think my impulsive thoughts just took over and I was living in the moment.

(Me) oh, okay. i understand.

(Sage) You're not mad, are you?

(Me) no, i understand! the kiss meant nothing to me, so im chill lol

(Sage) Okay then.

I don't get why, but my heart just shattered...

I dont feel anything, and she doesn't feel anything. Why should I be upset when the feeling is mutual

And who knows? I know plenty of best friends that just occasionally kiss for some reason. Maybe that's us? I don't fucking know!