Fighter's Spirit

Theodore Maxwell

For fifteen years of my life, I followed Claire wherever she went. Even while being hailed as a prodigy in Deviant magic the last four, I couldn't give less of a shit as long as I could stand next to her.

Claire was just that kind of person. She just pulled you in, a lot like gravity.

But damn.

That kid is crazy.

We caught news of someone that was scouted by the Director herself via rumors, so we at least had an idea of who it could've been.

We were so fucking wrong.

Nobody would've expected some pipsqueak with all the elemental affinities and who knows what else to show up.

In some ways, he was a bit like Claire; he was obviously different in his own way, though.

Rather than being around him, something about the way he moved made me wanna see what he was made of.

All the trash I fought in the past combined couldn't compare to the chills this kid gave me alone.

"I'm sure this is a no brainer, but we'll both be getting something out of this regardless of who wins," he commented lightly.

"Doesn't mean I'll hold back," I countered.

Even at a glance, I could tell his armor was probably just for show more than anything.

Being an Augmenter means you get the luxury of natural armor, even more so for a Maxwell.

But more importantly...

"You use gauntlets?" His posture and size suggested he probably used blades more than his fists, but he didn't have one.

The more I thought about it, he didn't seem like the kind of guy to use his fists.

"Ah, I'm a blade user. Though, that doesn't mean I'm no good with these things." He raised his hands and smiled as they ignited with bright purple flames.

"Hot damn, he's frickin' good!" Claire commented from the sidelines.

No shit. You can't do that so casually unless you've got that kind of experience.

The pressure I felt on my body was already unbelievable. The fact that some kid who didn't even have hair down there could feel this dangerous already spoke for itself.

I could feel a change in the atmosphere as Jayden began hopping on his toes, and I could feel chills run down my spine.

Everything changed about him as soon as Claire stepped up to ref the match.

"Some Spirit you got there," I said, noticing my voice shake slightly as I chuckled.

The Maxwells were known for a particular sense of perception. Conjurers had Mana Sense, which was generic. Augmenters were made unique with Spirit.

It's an aura similar to mana but equally as different given off of mages, and Maxwell Augmenters have the ability to see it beat into them as soon as they awaken.

The simple answer is we can more accurately gauge the strength of a mage by looking "through" them and not "at" them.

Being taught to look at "strength" rather than "power" helps a lot against mages with lower cores stages that can still compete with the higher stages.

My eyes didn't fool me, either.

I was looking at the real deal.

Jayden Leywin