He's Not Here (Aaron Stampler/Roy One-Shot)

You had been following the case of the Butcher Boy Aaron Stampler since he first appeared on your TV screen. You had always had an interest in crime and court rooms, but something about this one fascinated you above all others. You were desperate to get onto a jury, but the timing had never been right. So, you decided to make sure that you could be in the audience for the trial. Sat up the back, you didn't get the best view, but the atmosphere was unbeatable and well worth the effort. You had known that the accused was around your age, that was one of the features that had drawn you to him in the first place. However, you were really struck by how cute he was in real life. You couldn't be sure whether he was guilty or not, but as you saw him sat there in his suit, hair perfectly combed, you almost didn't care. You internally laughed at yourself as you realised you would make a rubbish juror. At least you weren't responsible for the boy's future, or potential lack of.

Your heart sunk as you admitted the possibility that he could receive the death penalty. Even if he did kill the Archbishop, did he really deserve to die himself? You would have loved to be able to talk to him, especially if his life was going to be cut short. But that would never happen. His lawyer kept visitors to a minimum. You had barely even heard Aaron say two words in the court room. So, your brain filled in all the blanks of what he could be like. He seemed to be a gentle soul, but appearances could be deceiving.

As the trial went on, you didn't miss a moment of it. You learned of the nature of Aaron's relationship with the Archbishop and all that he was made to do. You became significantly angry at this, secretly hoping that Aaron had committed the crime as he completely deserved his revenge. Another development in the case was the belief that Aaron suffered from multiple personality disorder. Ignoring the implications of murder, you were more focused on the insight that he had two sides to him, both of which you wanted to know better. When Aaron took the stand you had to stop yourself from running to get a closer view. You were hooked on every stuttered word and could feel yourself falling for him. During cross examination, Aaron was provoked by the district attorney and Roy was revealed to the court for the first time. You were shocked at first, especially after the mild-mannered and quiet Aaron had spoken. However, what shocked you more was your continued feelings for this obvious criminal. Roy was nothing like Aaron, but you still liked him. A steady rush of excitement flowed through you as you watched his arms close around the D.A.'s throat.

A lot of things happened in a short while after that, but Aaron never returned to the court room. Knowing you wouldn't find any answers immediately, you called it a day. The trial was over, but your thoughts were still consumed by the troubled man. When you heard that Aaron had been admitted to a mental hospital, you took the opportunity to meet him. You were nervous, never having done anything like this before. You probably seemed the crazy one as you were sat across from a known criminal as a stranger. There was a mischievous glint in his eye and a smirk on his face as he was curious to see how things would play out. Trying to keep up appearances and good behaviour, Roy said "Well that's very nice of you to come here, but Aaron's been in hiding a lot these days." Roy had assumed the conversation to end there, but you were not so easily deterred. "I don't mind." Roy was surprised at this, but grateful to just be himself. He was curious to see how long the visit would last. "Why don't you tell me about yourself, Roy. Aaron's the one who's been getting most of the attention." Roy gave a smirk at this. Some part of him wanted to tell you the truth, to remind you that he was a murderer. But the more persistent thought was that he was enjoying this. The company, the interest you had in him and his own desire to figure you out.

So, it went on that he told you the more conventional, but still honest things about himself until you were asked to leave by a member of staff. There wasn't a lot to occupy his life in the hospital, but Roy still couldn't help thinking about you for most of the time. You weren't like anyone he had ever met, certainly more interesting than Linda. And not a bitch like the D.A. He found himself feeling relieved when you returned. You were comfortable for him and a welcome presence.

You continued to visit Roy on a regular basis throughout the next month, never thinking twice about it. Sure, he had killed people, but that didn't make him a bad person. In your eyes, he could hardly be more perfect to you. From the outside, it might have seemed like an odd set of circumstances, but you two were the only ones that mattered. One day, Roy was visibly nervous and you actually thought you were face to face with Aaron for the first time. That was until you gave him a reassuring smile and saw the memories reflected in his eyes. "Look, (Y/N), I'm just gonna say it, I'm getting out of here!" You placed your hand on top of his, noticing it was still shaking slightly. "That's brilliant news that you're better!" Roy gave a quick nod. "I haven't exactly been completely honest with you, (Y/N). The thing is, there never was an Aaron." Roy screwed up his face, preparing for a barrage before you became strangers again. You were no longer smiling, but you didn't seem to be angry. You gave a shrug. "And when have I ever talked to Aaron?"