Mistress of Fear (Scarecrow / Dr. Jonathan Crane One-Shot)

This was a request I got from www.wattpad.com/user/DarkRosePrime121?utm_source=ios&utm_medium=link&utm_content=share_profile&wp_page=user_details&wp_uname=VioletAdler0224&wp_originator=ayZ0zz9ifqgTl/cC6m/ymtbaMVWGk0p7+KZh7NVjQsB8oZ88x0Jotgj8pjEmXIv2x5TRZ+21J31UPBWaFbDPIS4kknbGAjjf4dHSrSbkOFvLuCfbWj/MC5KGcNxV2Fty Message to requestee: You know how much I loved this idea from the get-go, Scarecrow is one of my favourites who I was more than happy to return to. So sorry it took slightly longer for me to get to. I also tweaked what you gave me to work with to fit my vision, so I hope you love it as much as I do. You made me remember how much I love to write these!

You had been a regular at Arkham Asylum for a long time. You knew there was never any chance of getting out so you didn't try to. You didn't pretend to be sane. And it wasn't so bad. You had your friends and you had your... fun.

    You had always been content just watching people and spent hours of your time sat at the barred peephole of your cell door. Right now you had your eyes on a bespectacled stranger with incredible cheekbones. He definitely wasn't a patient. He was far too clean and sharp for that. And yet, a man of such intelligence would be out of place on the staff as well. His eyes met your stare as he made his way through the corridor and out of sight. Once you had snapped out of your daze you called out to your neighbours "Who's the newbie?" You heard a laugh and grew a bit irritated.

"Sorry, (Y/N). Just so shocked that somebody escaped your radar. He's a new doc. Some big academic psychiatrist who needs some new test subjects."

That sort of explained it, but you were baffled how you had never heard of him.

(Dr Jonathan Crane's POV)

"So, that pretty much concludes the grand tour. Any questions Dr. Crane?"

"Yes, who is (Y/full/N)?" The men around me were silent for a moment, looking mostly at each other or their feet. One eventually spoke up. "She's a handful. We usually just leave her alone if we can help it, it's best that way. You should do the same." I couldn't help but be fascinated. What could make a patient so unbearable? Surely if I could use my methods on her it would prove very valuable for my study.

(Author POV)

The next day Dr Jonathan Crane was itching to get to work. He thought that he would start with an interview, try to get to understand the mysterious patient in order to really get into her head.

    You watched him approach your door and made sure to stand back from it. As he sat down opposite you at your small table he introduced himself. "Hello, (Y/N). I am Dr Jonathan Crane and I am just here to ask you a few questions." You couldn't keep the smile off of your face, he just gave you such butterflies. "Am I the lucky lady handpicked to be the first? You really should be more subtle than that Johnny boy." You noticed his face briefly flicker showing how you flustered him. "What do you think of Arkham Asylum?" You put on a serious face and took a minute to respond, pretending that you were thinking hard. "I think it's one big playground. You have your bullies and your little friendship groups." The corners of your lips curled up into a smirk. You were convinced that you were doing a good job of wasting his time. "Why do you think that you are here?" You leaned in a bit closer to him. "Because everybody loves having me around." He didn't intimidate as easily as all of the other doctors, he just sat there taking his notes. "What is your biggest fear?" That was an awkward one to come up with a smart answer for. He just looked at you until you came up with something though. "You have really beautiful eyes, John." With that he abruptly stood up. You hadn't actually wanted him to leave. "What did you write about me, John?" He turned back to face you with a calmer demeanour. "I wrote that you always think that you are the smartest person in the room. That you try to use people's insecurities against them. I wrote that you are, in my professional opinion, completely sick in the head." You were dumbfounded. He was good at his job. Which meant he probably belonged on the inside of the cell himself.

(Jonathan's POV)

She got under my skin. I have never been so unprofessional in front of a patient. She really is as good as the other staff say. I still have faith in my methods though. I would love to be the one to break her.

(Author POV)

It had been a week since your visit from Dr Crane but you had seen him around. You were jealous of the time he spent with other patients but found the screams that followed his visits unsettling. Even though he had a slight outburst in your presence you could not imagine him being a violent man.

    Your room became smoky before the scarecrow emerged. You decided to watch and wait rather than strike with your usual quips. He just approached you with the same silence, also studying you. He found it difficult to judge your reaction. "How are you feeling, (Y/N)?" The truth was that the butterflies were back in full force and you could have sworn that he would see you blushing. "A little tingly. Is it working, John?" Dr Crane could not understand what was going on. He specially used a concentrated dose. The closer he got to you, the more he realised that you weren't like everybody else. "How does it work, doc? How do you get them to scream like that? I would love to try it out myself." You gripped the top of the mask and pulled it off of him, exposing quite a shocked expression. "You're incredible, (Y/N). You are absolutely incredible." Your face burned and for once you were left speechless. Nobody had ever thought about you like that before. He recognised how special you really were. "Scarecrow could use a... Mistress of Fear. What do you say, (Y/N)?"

    You both left the room hand in hand and slipped into a staff meeting. "Gentlemen, you should know that (Y/N) will no longer be a patient of yours. She will be working alongside me instead." Jonathan's words were met with a bout of laughter. "She really did a number on you. We tried to warn you. Never expected anything like this." Normally you would just try to fight back with your words, but now you had something stronger at your disposal. "May I?" You asked Jonathan, turning your head to see him wearing the scarecrow mask already. "Allow me, (Y/N)."