Empty School (Jason Dean One-Shot)

You were in your last year of high school and it was amazing how many other people had not dropped out yet. Nobody cared about work or exams anymore, it was all about the end. It was about prom. But not this year.

    As the number of deceased students rose, your end of year celebrations looked less and less likely. The closest you would come to prom were the mass gatherings of your year group at the funerals. You didn't really care about missing out though, did you? You were an outcast anyway and any sort of traditional prom would just highlight your school status. Still, you had put years of hard work into this school and received nothing in return.

    You expressed these thoughts in a conversation with your boyfriend, Jason Dean, or JD as he liked to be known. "Prom is stupid anyway, (Y/N). You're really not missing out." He told you.

"Oh, yeah? And how many proms have you been to JD?" You retorted.

"You forget just how many schools I've been to, (Y/N). I've witnessed a lot."

"You're right! You're right. I'm sorry for complaining, it's just, I let myself get excited for it, and I got my outfit all ready for it and dreamed about it. It feels like someone is telling me I don't deserve it, it's a thing everyone does, but not me." You let out a sigh, realising you had been ranting and rambling again. JD put his arm around you and brought you closer to him in a side hug, trying to comfort you. "I'll tell you what, let's go get a slushie."

   You had calmed down after your outburst, accepting your fate and just trying to enjoy your remaining moments of high school. You knew that you had just been selfish, as you still had your health and your life, if not prom. You wandered around your school for the last time, taking everything in and saying a silent goodbye. JD had only moved here recently, causing him to have no attachment and sentimental bond, you guessed that's why he didn't really care.

    Later that evening, you were sat in your house, further reflecting on high school memories when you heard a knock at your door. Stood there was JD, dressed up more than you had ever seen him. "I still don't understand what you see in this, but (Y/full/N) will you go to prom with me?" You covered your mouth with shock before emphatically nodding your head. "Don't just stand there, go and get ready. And don't leave me waiting too long or I'll change my mind." JD told you.

   Once you were ready, JD took you to the woods where he set up some music. You two spent the night dancing and talking with each other in your own personal prom. "Thank you for doing this for me JD. It's better than any traditional prom I could have imagined."

"Well, I decided you needed a proper send off out of that hellhole and into freedom."

I'm really pleased with how this one turned out. It's my fictional nod to my own covid non-prom this year.