Part Five

Time had passed since that night and my probation was over. It felt so ironic knowing my father in this world confined me to my room for the sole purpose of no one discovering the evidence of his abuse yet prince Heinry discovered it anyway.

 I kept scheduling weekly visits with Heinry, in fact he even insisted we meet twice a week but I said it was too much. We never speak about what happened, or what was currently happening for that matter. Heinry just became very involved in our engagement and intended to marry me. This, however, made me sick to my stomach. I'll die if I don't get married and I'll eventually die if I do. How do I escape this?

Today, I was free. It was Saturday and my father was out on official business, my mother was knitting in her room, and I was feeling unsatisfied with the way I had been living. I am in a fantasy novel after all, I might as well go out and see what sights this world has to offer.

"Miss Hilda!" I called after my maid. "Yes My Lady? And I do wish you would stop addressing me as miss, it's not proper to be so formal with your servant." She shook her head as she walked in the room.

"Oh, but I prefer it this way," I said, "I know you don't notice, but I love the smile on your face when I address you as such." Hilda blushed at my words. "Oh? Pardon my insolence--"

"You're not insolent. Did you not hear me say I enjoy it?" I smiled at her. Who wouldn't wish to be respected? Moreover, I feel so improper not addressing her formally, it's not proper etiquette to be so rude as to not address an adult this way. I stand by that fact even if it doesn't apply in this world.

"Well, anyway, would like to head to town with me? I would really love to go!"

"Of course, my lady, let me inform your mother--"

"Oh, we don't need to trouble her."

"Uhhh.."

"I'm sure she's busy anyway."

"Well, I can still ask, it will only take a second--"

"Why bother asking? It would all be for naught. Let's just hurry and go."

Hilda smiled in amusement. "My lady," She leaned down to my ear and whispered. "She wouldn't allow it, would she?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

I instantly gave her a pitiful look and grabbed her hands. "Please. Just this once." I begged and I could tell I cracked her resolve. "Fine," She said, turning away from me to hide her smile. "I'll humor you, but just for today." I nodded and jumped out of my seat in excitement.

I made it into town, roaming the streets with Hilda close behind me, ensuring that I didn't do anything rash. The leisurely pace I walked at was no match for how fast my thoughts were racing at the moment. I had come to the realization, though I hadn't dared to address it, that all my efforts to live might end up being in vain.

I am still to be married to the prince, and if I'm not, I am confident I will die at the hands of my father. I had previously contemplated running off and getting married on a whim. If I lived with my betrothed, I would no longer be in my father's house and completely at his mercy. However, I am but twelve years old, too young to be married, yet old enough to be forcefully engaged...how splendid.

I walked through the market, using all my might to ignore my thoughts of impending death, but as it would be assumed, it is extremely hard not to think about your own murder when you know that it will happen. Big surprise.

Suddenly, my trance was broken by the sound of a tussle. I turned to my left and saw a man forcefully throw a young boy to the ground. I started to make my way over, ignoring Hilda as she called after me, but a crowd began to gather and I couldn't see past all of the grown adults in front of me.

"You disgusting serf! How dare you lay your hands on me!" I heard the scruffy man yell beyond the wall of men. 

I forcefully shoved my way through until I was face to face with the conflict. The boy was still on the ground as the man picked up a butchers knife from the table next to him. 'Maybe that kid tried to steal from this dude...No, why would a kid steal raw meat from a butcher rather than something already cooked?' Just then as I tried to assess the situation, the man forcefully yanked the boy's arm forward and raised up his knife. I gasped at the sight, I couldn't stand to see it any longer.

The boy forced his eyes shut, wincing and bracing himself for the pain he was about to endure, but to his surprise, he heard a young voice come to his defense.

"Pardon me, sir, but might I ask what seems to be the problem?" 

The man grew red hot as if he were on fire, enraged by the simple question.

"Mind your own business, girl."

I almost scoffed at his improper and immature demeanor, but decided to stay composed. One of us has to be the adult here.

"It was but a simple inquiry. I haven't a clue as to why you have become so mad."

It was then that the man noticed my expensive clothing and neat appearance. Anyone could tell I was of the nobility. He gulped at the sight, but I assume it was his pride that prevented him from speaking respectfully.

"I am not haughty about your words, girl. However, I suggest the lot of you," he gestured to the crowd. "leave me to discipline this peasant--"

"HAH." I audibly laughed in order to belittle him. "An insolent bastard like you has no right to judge someone for their societal class. You are no better than a peasant, or perhaps, this peasant here is better than you?"

"Listen, girl--"

"No. I refuse to listen to such pointless dribble. I doubt you have anything new to say to me. Now, tell me, what has this boy done so wrong other than stand in your presence? I see no evidence of theft, so please, sir, do enlighten me and my small, small brain, for I am but a stupid girl after all, aren't I?"

The man reluctantly lowered the knife that he still had raised in the air through the entirety of the argument, but his tight grip on the boy's wrist never loosened. 'I fear he might break it.' I thought, but didn't show my nervousness.

"Isn't it offense enough for an orphan boy such as himself to tug at my cloth?"

"If by cloth you mean your replaceable and tacky outfit, then I suggest you give me a better reason than that?"

"Pardon?"

"Give me a better reason for you to act how you have rather than the fact that this boy's hands brushed against your inexpensive fabric."

"I don't owe you a reason, young lady."

"So, you don't have one then after all. How unfortunate for you, I'm sure my father wouldn't be pleased to hear about how you conducted yourself in front of his own daughter."

"I haven't a care for what your father thinks of me." He scoffed, but his answer only made my smile grow larger.

"Oh, but I think you do. You wouldn't want to upset a Thornwood, would you?"

At the sound of my words he froze and his face flushed of all color.

"Y-your father i-is--"

"Duke Thornwood, yes. Why? Do you suddenly care about his opinion now?" I smirked at him and crossed my arms. No wonder I'm the villainess, his petrified expression happens to bring me great joy.

"I-I am terribly sorry to have upset you, d-duchess. I-I--"

"Then leave."

"P-pardon, my lady?"

"Leave the boy alone, then. Or do you wish for me to have your head? I have been in need for a new decoration, so that would be rather convenient for me." I lowered my eyes until they were slanted menacingly, examining my nails as I spoke to him.

He didn't reply to my threat, but instead dropped the boy's arm and stormed off into the crowd. He was obviously embarrassed, ashamed to have been out-witted by a mere twelve year old, and a girl at that.

"Thank you." I turned around and saw the boy where the small voice came from still sitting on the ground.

I smiled. 'I know you.'