Chapter 27: Astrider

As James gazed into the eyes of the silver lizard perched on his hand, an inexplicable connection tingled in the depths of his mind. It was as if an unspoken bond had formed between them, transcending the boundaries of language and understanding. He could sense the creature's emotions, its curiosity, and a vulnerability that stirred something deep within him.

Without realizing it, James found himself enveloped in a protective urge over the small, otherworldly creature. "I... I need to take care of it," he murmured, almost to himself, as if the realization had just dawned upon him.

Danny observed James with a mix of fascination and concern. "James, this is incredible, but we need to be cautious. The villagers have always spoken of dragons in the forest, and this... this might be more than just a legend."

James nodded, still lost in the connection with the creature. "I can't explain it, Danny. But I feel like this isn't just some random event. There's something more to this lizard, something important."

Danny glanced at the silver lizard and then back at James. "Maybe the villagers were right all along. This could be a dragon like they spoke of in their stories. Like the one Roran's cousin is riding around the realm"

As if in response to their conversation, the silver lizard chirped softly, its eyes flickering with intelligence. It seemed to understand the gravity of the situation, and a sense of ancient wisdom emanated from its presence.

"We should go back to the village and learn more about these stories," Danny suggested, standing up. "There might be more to this legend that we need to understand. And we need to figure out how to protect this creature."

James nodded, gently cradling the silver lizard in his hands. "You're right, Danny. Let's find out what the villagers know, and maybe we can uncover the truth behind the legends and the connection I feel with this extraordinary creature."

The flickering lanterns cast a warm glow on the cobblestone streets as James and Danny stealthily made their way back to the village. James carefully concealed the silver lizard in his knapsack, ensuring that it remained hidden from the prying eyes of curious onlookers. The air was filled with a mix of celebration and the lingering scent of victory after the recent battle.

As they entered the village, James made a beeline for Horst, the burly blacksmith, who was busy tending to his forge. "Horst, have you seen Roran?" James asked, trying to keep his tone casual.

Horst raised an eyebrow at James's peculiar question but pointed towards the tavern. "He's in the taern, celebrating with some of the villagers. What's going on?"

James hesitated for a moment, then offered a quick smile. "Nothing much, just wanted to catch up with him. Thanks, Horst."

With a nod of appreciation, James and Danny headed towards the lively tavern, the sounds of laughter and clinking glasses growing louder as they approached. Pushing open the creaking door, they stepped into the warmth of the bustling establishment.

The tavern was filled with a mix of villagers, their spirits high from the recent victory over an unseen adversary. Spotting Roran in a corner, James and Danny made their way through the crowd, trying not to draw too much attention. Roran looked up from his conversation, a broad smile spreading across his face.

"James! Danny! Join us, join us!" Roran boomed, raising a tankard in salute. "A celebration is in order after the battle the other day."

James and Danny exchanged glances, realizing that they needed to tread carefully with their newfound secret. "Absolutely, Roran. We couldn't pass up on a celebration," James replied with a smile, accepting the glass of wine offered by Roran.