Chapter 19: Purpose

The moon hung low in the sky as the carriages rolled into Carvahall under the cover of night. Roran, Horst's sons Albreich and Baldor, along with the volunteers, Kai and James, wearily stepped out onto the dusty streets of the town. They had traveled long and hard, determined to rally support for their cause.

Early the next day, James found himself standing outside the beginnings of a makeshift palisade with its new gate to the south. Horst, a rugged and sturdy man, approached with a smile.

"Roran! Albreich! Baldor! It's good to see you all," Horst greeted his sons quickly before turning to Roran. "You made it. Welcome back to Carvahall."

Roran nodded in acknowledgment. "Thank you, Horst. We're grateful to be here."

Horst motioned to the boys. "Go get washed up, you two. We've got company."

The young men rushed off, leaving Roran and the volunteers standing with Horst. Roran spoke up, "We appreciate your hospitality, Horst. It's been a challenging journey."

Horst waved a hand dismissively. "No need for thanks. You're family. You and the volunteers can make the soldiers' barracks your temporary home. We've got enough space."

"Thank you, Horst. We're happy to help in any way we can," Roran replied gratefully.

At that moment, Danny joined the conversation, curiosity in his eyes. "What have you learned about Captain Garth?" he asked, directing his question towards James.

James adjusted his satchel and met Danny's gaze. "Captain Garth has headed to Teirm, seeking support from the garrison there to reclaim the town. We're waiting to hear how the Lord of Teirm responds. They've always been a bit more independent than the other cities."

Danny nodded, his expression growing serious. "Regardless of their decision, we can't afford to wait. We need to leave immediately to free my brother, David."

James looked uncertain and turned to Horst. "Can Carvahall manage without us?"

Horst crossed his arms, a determined glint in his eyes. "We'll manage. You go help your friend and bring David back. Carvahall will be standing strong when you return."

With a nod, Danny looked at James. "Let's go, then. We can't waste any time."

As they prepared to depart, James expressed his gratitude once again. "Thank you, Horst. We'll be back soon, and we'll bring David with us."

The sun dipped low in the sky as James and Danny finished preparing their bags for the journey ahead. They sat in Horst's humble dwelling, sorting through supplies and discussing their plans. Horst, a man of action, joined them, a small, weathered map in his hands.

"Take this," Horst said, handing the map to James. "It'll help you navigate through the landscape. It's about a four-day journey to Teirm, so plan accordingly."

James studied the map, nodding appreciatively. "Thank you, Horst. We'll make the best time we can."

Horst's eyes bore a mixture of determination and concern. "I've been working on fortifying the basics here in Carvahall. By the time you return, I hope to have the whole village armed with rifles. There's also a special project I've been tinkering with that might give us an edge in the next battle. I'll unveil more when the time is right."

James extended his hand, a genuine smile on his face. "Good luck, Horst. We'll be back as soon as we can."

Before they could leave, Horst raised a finger. "One more thing before you go." He disappeared into the kitchen and returned with a sealed envelope and two items - Charles' revolver and an old sabre.