Chapter 36

Andrew POV

Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!

I hoped I had a little more time to make her trust me, especially since her reaction to my lycan form yesterday. I take a deep breath and dive in since I know there is no way I could wiggle myself out of this conversation without doing even further damage.

- What do you mean when you ask why you are here? I start hoping I could come with a nice way to explain her how I will turn her life upside down.

She takes a long look at me and then turns her eyes towards her hands that I can see she is rubbing in a nervous movement. I don't like the nervousness that she feels around me or the fact that she is avoiding my gaze but I stay still. There is no need for more pressure from my side.

- I mean, thank you and David for saving me from there and ... she takes a long pause but finally continues. I know you like me but I already saw in the news that you've found a match and I don't understand why I am still here.

- There is no need to thank me, those men were monsters and that coming from someone like me is rather funny but in no way in hell something like that should happen to anyone. I would have done that for anyone for a matter of fact and I am sure each and any of the ones in today's group would have done the same.

- In any case, thank you. Could I now go home, please? She says and I can see she is ready to burst into tears.

What the hell did I said wrong? That was true. Why is she like this? Then I remember myself that she is awfully young, even for a human. For the Goddesses name, why in the world would I find my mate when she is so young? Couldn't have been better if I was to find her later in her life? As I ask myself this, I know the answer is no, it's better that I met her now. But how to get to her when she seems so frightened and ready to leave at any point? She has already left once and that turned into a mess. How could I keep her here without seeming an unhinged person that is no better than her kidnappers? As I shift my weight on the chair, I look at her intently, hoping that she would raise her head and look me in the eyes but she still adverts her gaze as a child that is reprimanded for a mistake. I need to be calm but firm. Given what I've talked with Avalon and the all the warnings they gave it's clear she is not to leave my side for any reason at all.

- You are forbidden to leave the mansion. That is how things have to be, I say instantly regretting that I have no way of putting this mildly for her.

- Am I a prisoner here? she asks as she finally rises her head.

- No, kitten, don't even think it like that. It's for your own safety.

- But I am safe, you have saved me. There is no need to stay here anymore, I have a family to get back to, she adds. Maria is probably worried sick by now and I don't even have a phone to talk to her. She says and I can see that tears have already started flowing from her eyes.

Fuck, she makes me so nervous! And she doesn't even understand how seeing her cry twists my guts as if a thousand knives go in and out of me at the same time.

- Maria has already been informed where you are and that you are safe. I will see that David brings her here so you can have yourself a chat with her if you need this.

- Yes, she says with a trembling voice.

- If that is all, I have other things to do, I say dismissively since I can't look at her crying and not being able to stop it. I am a creature of strength and this is something that goes beyond my possibilities to solve. I don't know how to encourage her or settle her nerves at rest so I get up from the table. She rises herself fast, in a fumble, as if she was caught off guard and leaves the room as fast she can without even looking back at me.