Chapter 1

Diana POV

8 months earlier

Another night again at work... I do not want to seem ungrateful, but I do hate this job. I do not know what I was thinking of when I agreed to this job but however, this keeps the food on the table, so I must have a good relationship with it.s

As I finish my shower and wipe the water from my body, I cringe at working my ass off the whole night at Sweeney's Club. I am trying to fit my fat ass in the unbearably small pink skirt that would hardly cover my private parts while I am serving in the club. And then there is Rob. I swear, I never knew hatred before I met that slippery son of a rat! Every time I complain about the treatment, I get from customers it is: "Don't be such a prude" or "They are paying to have a good time, darling.", "Who are you to refuse them that" or "Don't bother with them, just ignore it."

I swear to God, one of these days, I will be going crazy and kick the shit out of them. I would also love to get my hands on the owner of the club since I know such a blunt idiot as Rob could not be able to gather so much money to own that lecherous club. And to think is one of the highest regarded clubs in Miami! A few weeks ago, when I saw that article in the magazine, I thought I would choke on my own breath: "[...] most famous club, and for good reason. This Vegas-worthy spot has seen no shortage of lavish moments throughout the years, especially at the famous weekly gatherings on Saturdays. If you're willing to dress up and shell out, you'll love the beautiful hostesses, the exquisite entertainers dancing around and the VIP section that can offer some privacy as you catch your breath between dances."

Hmmm, privacy. Of course, you need some privacy if you want to score some drugs and the booths from the club are the perfect place for it. Not to mention that I am fairly sure some of the girls working here are selling themselves not only the drinks.

I get my panties and my bra, the only ones that are both black and made of lace and I squeeze my boobs into the minuscule black low cut lace top that Rob makes us wear. I take a look at the mirror, and I decide that I thoroughly look like a dame of the night. For goodness's sake! One day I will have enough money to leave this freaking club and have a normal job. But until I can gather at least six thousand dollars I cannot even think of another job. But one day sunshine will come to my street, I am sure of this!

I give myself this little pep talk while I put in my backpack a sleeveless blouse and some shorts for the moment I get out of work and come down the stairs of my flat. The corridors and the entrance are appalling and dim lit but I kind of got used to them this way. And like that, I do not see the filthy walls that the day of light brings to life during the day. I mentally prepare myself for the moment I will call the cab and I will meet the critic looks of my driver and pull out my mobile as I reach the bottom of the stairs. A low, husky voice interrupts me:

- Hello Diana, did not see you for a while! Going to work? The man says getting out of the shadows of the corner of our building.

- Oh, hi David, did not see you there. I say catching my breath from the startle he gave me. I should really check this with my therapist, I cannot go through life acting like a scared kitten all the time.

- So, on your way to work? I can give you a lift if you like. He says pointing at an old beaten-up grey Chevy.

I have known David since I moved to the loft, seems quite a nice guy after you get over the way he dresses and the fact he is mostly out during the night. First time I saw him it strikes me how tall and bulky he was, with a bushy scraggly beard that never seemed to have met a trimmer, curly unruly hair and a beaten-up leather jacket that seemed too thick for the Miami weather. In any case, it seems that looks can be deceiving since he was always respectful, even after he invited me out and I declined. I have been sincere to him and explained that I am a foster child and since I have only myself to rely on, I do not fancy any relationship. And he understood so that makes him a good guy in my book.