Thirteen

Alex's jaw clenched, his eyes narrowing at his brother's callous remark. Sensing Julie's discomfort, he stepped forward, placing a protective arm around her shoulders. "Julie is not just my girlfriend," he declared firmly, his voice resonating with conviction. "She's an incredible person who's been there for me when I needed her the most. And she doesn't need makeup to be beautiful."

The room fell silent, the weight of Alex's words hanging in the air like an unspoken truth.

Julie felt a mix of emotions—gratitude for Alex's defense, but also a pang of vulnerability at being exposed in front of his family. Yet, despite the discomfort, she stood tall, refusing to let anyone diminish her worth.

Alex's mother broke the silence, clearing her throat awkwardly before ushering everyone to take their seats and begin the meeting.

"So we think we should appoint the most suitable and responsible person as the next CEO. It's actually a hard decision for us. But we think we know who's the one," Alex's father, Mr Anderson spoke.

"It's you, Alex. Congratulations!"

"What?" His wife blurted out in disbelief.

Jacob widened his eyes and Alex's ex girlfriend's jaw dropped to the floor.

Alex's eyes widened in shock, his breath catching in his throat at his father's unexpected announcement.

Julie felt a surge of joy and pride for him, her heart swelling with admiration at his accomplishment.

Despite the initial disbelief from some in the room, the decision was final, and Alex's appointment as the next CEO was met with applause and congratulations from everyone present.

Alex turned to Julie, a mixture of disbelief and gratitude shining in his eyes as he realized the magnitude of the moment they were sharing together.

"Alex, I know you still love me." Sarah, Alex's ex girlfriend came crawling to him as soon as the old couple left the room.

Alex's expression hardened as Sarah approached, his jaw set in determination. He gently but firmly placed a hand on Sarah's shoulder, meeting her gaze with a steely resolve.

"Sarah, what we had is in the past," he said firmly, his voice tinged with finality. "I've moved on, and I'm happy now."

Julie stood by his side, offering silent support as she watched the exchange unfold.

"No way! Don't tell me you love this woman! You reminded me to come just this morning. How come you could find someone else at such a lightning speed?" She spat out in shock and anger.

"Just like you did. Didn't you also find someone else at a lightening speed?" Alex eyed Jacob, who still sat in a corner, looking gloomy.

Sarah's eyes widened in realization as Alex's words hit home, her anger faltering as she glanced towards Jacob.

Julie watched the scene unfold, a mixture of empathy and understanding in her eyes.

Despite the tension in the air, Alex remained steadfast, his gaze unwavering as he stood by his decision.

As Sarah stormed out of the room in a whirlwind of emotions, Alex turned to Julie, gratitude and affection evident in his eyes as he took her hand in his.

"Thank you," he murmured softly, his voice filled with sincerity.

"Ha! Wait till mom and dad find your act!" Jacob smiled like a madman as he approached his brother. "They will cut you off from everything! As for this woman."

He looked at Julie with a murderous glare. "This gold digger will leave you for someone else."

Alex sneered. "She isn't Sarah."

Julie felt a surge of anger rise within her at Jacob's accusation, but she held her composure, refusing to let his words affect her. Instead, she stood by Alex's side, her expression unwavering as she faced Jacob's hostility.

Alex's resolve only seemed to strengthen in the face of his brother's threats, his grip on Julie's hand tightening as he met Jacob's gaze head-on.

"Julie is not a gold digger," he declared firmly, his voice laced with conviction. "And she's not going anywhere."

"You think she'll marry you?" Jacob clicked his tongue twice.

"Why not?" Alex knelt on one knee and took out a ring. He suddenly realised that he forgot to ask her name as well. Swallowing his regret, he spoke, "Dear, will you marry me?" He looked at Julie pleadingly.

As Alex knelt before her, Julie's heart fluttered with a mix of emotions. Despite the whirlwind of events, she couldn't deny the genuine connection she felt with Alex. His sincerity touched her deeply, and she found herself nodding before he even finished his proposal.

"Yes, Alex," she whispered, her voice filled with warmth and certainty. "I will marry you."

Tears of joy welled up in Alex's eyes as he slipped the ring onto Julie's finger. With a shared smile, they embraced, their hearts beating in sync as they sealed their commitment with a tender kiss, igniting a spark of love that would only grow stronger with each passing day.

'I can't believe I kissed him. I just met him this morning.' Julie thought in her mind. 'Is this a dream?'

Jacob snorted coldly and stormed out of the room like a raging bull.

As Jacob stormed out of the room, his anger leaving a palpable tension in the air, Julie couldn't shake the feeling of surrealism that washed over her. She stole a glance at Alex, her heart racing with uncertainty yet undeniable affection. Despite the whirlwind of emotions, she knew deep down that this connection was real, and she was ready to embrace whatever the future held for her and Alex.

With a smile that mirrored her own, Alex squeezed her hand reassuringly, his eyes shining with gratitude and love. Together, they faced the unknown, their hearts intertwined in a bond that transcended time and circumstance.

"I think I really am falling for you," Alex admitted.

"Why?" Although, Julie felt overjoyed inside, she still proceeded to ask, showing a poker face. "I'm just an average girl. Unlike your girlfriend who's so pretty."

Alex's expression softened, a hint of amusement dancing in his eyes as he realized his oversight. "You know, I never did ask for your name," he admitted with a sheepish grin.

Julie chuckled softly, feeling a wave of fondness wash over her. "It's Julie," she replied, her voice filled with warmth.

"Julie," Alex repeated, savoring the sound of her name on his lips. "It suits you perfectly."

Their laughter filled the room, mingling with the promise of a newfound connection that blossomed between them. In that moment, as they shared their names and their hearts, Julie and Alex knew that their love story was just beginning.

"Alex," Julie called him, falling in love with his name. "Will you believe me if I tell you that I'm falling for you too? It feels surreal. I can't even describe what I'm feeling right now. I never felt this way..." Her voice choked with emotions.

Alex's heart swelled with tenderness as he listened to Julie's heartfelt confession, his own emotions mirroring hers. He reached out to gently cup her face in his hands, his thumb brushing away a stray tear that escaped her eye.

"Julie," he murmured, his voice filled with love and understanding. "I believe you, and I feel the same way. What we have is something special, something beyond words. And I promise to cherish every moment we share together."

Their eyes locked in a silent exchange of love and vulnerability, sealing their bond with an unspoken promise to navigate the journey ahead, hand in hand.

In that moment, surrounded by uncertainty yet filled with hope, Julie and Alex found solace in each other's arms, knowing that their love would light the way forward.

After they got married, Alex became the CEO of his father's company.