Chapter 10 : The Devil

Start from the beginning

"It will be, Sabo. Let's just finish eating first, okay?"

The air was thick with unspoken questions as they hurriedly finished their meal, their usual banter tinged with a sense of unease.

Sabo, in particular, couldn't help but watch you closely, his intuition telling him that change was imminent.

Once the last dish was cleaned and put away, you returned to the table, the stack of papers in your hand a silent testament to the weight of the announcement you were about to make.

"Acey, Sabo, Luffy," you began, addressing each by name, striving to maintain composure despite the turmoil churning within.

"There's something I need to tell you, and I know it's not going to be easy to hear."

Luffy's reaction, though endearingly naive, couldn't lighten the mood.

"Are we out of meat again?!" he blurted, his innocence a temporary balm to the tension.

"No, Luffy, it's not about the food," you responded with a smile, trying to preserve a semblance of normalcy in the face of the difficult conversation ahead.

Sabo's nervous glance at the documents in your hand and Ace's forthright query only served to heighten the anxiety.

"Y/N Nee-chan.. Are you okay?"

The words you were forced to utter next felt like a betrayal of everything you'd ever stood for as their older sister.

"No, Acey, I'm not... Because from here on out, legally, I will no longer be your sister."

The protest was immediate, a visceral reaction from Ace and Sabo, their shock and confusion manifesting in loud objections and slamming hands on the table.

"WHAT?! What do you mean you're not gonna be our sister?!" Ace asked.

Sabo added on, "Legally?! Is that what that stack of paper is?!"

Luffy got up from his seat and walked up to you, pulling your pants as he looked up at you, "Y/N Onee-chan?"

Your youngest, ever the innocent soul, simply looked up at you, his confusion palpable.

"Y/N Nee-san.. Why would you legally cut ties with us..?" Sabo asked, his eyes slowly forming tears.

"Is it because we got you in trouble with that geezer?!" Ace asked, slightly panicking.

Holding Luffy close, you tried to explain the unbearable decision you had made.

"Listen to what I have to say first boys.. I know it's not what you want to hear but you know I always do things for a good reason right?"

Ace and Sabo looked at each other frustrating plastered on their faces, sat back down to allow you to continue.

"I promise.. When the time comes, I will tell you everything. But for now, would you give your big sister a birthday present by doing what i say?" You kiss Luffy's head.

"Shishishishi! Of course, Y/N Onee-chan!" Luffy, still oblivious to what was going on, instantly promised.

It was a sacrifice borne of love and a desperate desire to provide them a better future, even if it meant erasing the legal bonds that tied you together.