Chapter 27: Part 2

Entering the cottage, I feel a slight excitement and curiosity about what I'll find inside. The house is small but charming, surrounded by beautiful trees and overlooking the lake. Upon entering, I pause for a moment, delighted by the simplicity and charm of this place. The cottage walls are made of natural materials, and the wooden floors emanate warmth. On the kitchen table sits a pitcher of wildflowers, and through the window, I can see the serene lake. I feel like this place has something magical about it, something that makes me want to stay longer and forget about the outside world.

- My grandfather passed this house down to me. I've often sought solace here when life became overwhelming. - He shared as he hung our jackets on the rack.

- Such a breathtaking place. - I marveled, taking in the surroundings.

- Please, make yourself comfortable. - Nathan invited, heading towards the fireplace to kindle a fire. - How's Isaac doing? - He inquired, his tone calm.

- We... ended things. - I confessed, turning my gaze away. I could feel his eyes on me, wondering what thoughts were crossing his mind.

- I'm sorry. - Nathan said, unsure of what to do, then went to the kitchen to see what he could find for us to drink. - Darn it, all I have is coffee and alcohol. - He remarked upon returning.

- Alcohol works for me. - I replied, taking a seat at the kitchen table.

- Are you sure? - Nathan asked, surprising me with his inquiry.

- Yes, Nathan, I'm a grown woman and can handle a drink. - I chuckled, sensing his intentions. We used to sneak sips at parties as kids, and now? We're adults.

- Alright then, here you go. - he laughed, pouring me a glass of whisky.

- Wow, don't you have anything worse? - I teased, making Nathan look offended.

- Worse? Whisky is great. - He defended, pointing to the bottle. - But I'll make an exception and see if I have something more 'girly'.

- Excuse me, what do you mean 'girly'? - I laughed, feeling slightly offended.

- Nothing offensive, of course. Would wine do, my dear? - He asked, kneeling beside me with a bottle of wine. We laughed like kids, unable to believe how well we were getting along after so many years of separation and arguments in recent days.

- Thank you very much. - I said, taking the glass in my hand. I felt Nathan's gaze on me and looked at him questioningly. - Is something the matter?

- You're beautiful. - He said with a gentle smile, his eyes sparkling as he looked at me.

I glanced at myself, dressed in old jeans and an oversized shirt. Pointing to my attire, I looked at him. - This? You call this beauty? - I laughed, taking a sip of wine.

- Yes, exactly that. - his whisper echoed in my ears like music. - Why you and Isaac... - He began, but I interrupted him.

- For you, Nathan. - My gaze traveled from his eyes to his lips. - For myself. - I added after a moment of contemplation, looking at the fireplace where the fire was kindling. - I want to try to fix what's between us. Even though it seemed impossible for me from the very beginning, I think it has a chance if we're honest with each other, Nathan. - I emphasized, and he listened to me attentively, waiting for further words. - But...

- Of course, there's always a 'but' - He chuckled lightly, giving me a playful look as he couldn't contain his laughter.

- But not now. I want to focus on my studies, on myself. And on my future. - I said, leaning closer to Nathan and placing the wine glass on the table. - Nevertheless, I'm not ruling you out of my life, Nathan.