Chapter 14

Nathan's grandmother was positively surprised to find a friendly face at her door, rather than expecting a somber-looking man in dark attire. With delight, she embraced me warmly.

- Oh my, my... I'm very sorry, my dear. I thought my grandson brought some rascal, I didn't expect... a girl. - Nathan's grandmother remarked, her eyes twinkling with amusement as she observed me.

- I'm pleased to meet you too, my name is Sarah and- - I started to introduce myself, but Nathan's grandmother interrupted me.

- Such a beautiful name! Come in child, come in. Would you like some tea? - she offered graciously.

Before I could respond, Nathan interjected, - Grandma...

But I reassured him with a smile and a gentle squeeze of his hand. - It's okay.

- Yes, please, ma'am. - I accepted her offer, grateful for her hospitality.

As we entered the cozy living room, the small house exuded a nostalgic charm, adorned with family photos and trinkets that hinted at a lifetime of shared moments. The aroma of home-cooked meals hung in the air, creating a comforting atmosphere.

- I hope you like apple pie. Nathan's favorite. - Grandma mentioned, leading me to the worn-out but inviting couch.

- That sounds wonderful. Thank you for having me over. - I replied warmly, settling into the comfortable surroundings.

As we settled in, the conversation flowed effortlessly. Nathan's grandma shared stories of Nathan's childhood, and I reciprocated with tales of my own upbringing. The living room echoed with laughter and the clinking of teacups.

In the midst of the cozy exchange, Grandma's eyes sparkled as she spoke about her late husband, Nathan's grandfather, and the adventures they had together. I listened intently, feeling a deep connection forming between me and this woman who held so much history within the confines of these walls.

- Sarah, dear, I'm so happy I could get to know you. Please come visit us more often. - Nathan's grandmother expressed warmly, her eyes filled with genuine affection.

- Thank you. It's been a pleasure getting to know you, and I will visit you as often you want. - I replied sincerely, a warm smile gracing my lips.

With a chuckle, Grandma waved us off. - Well, you two go on and enjoy the evening. I'll get started on that apple pie I promised. Nathan always loved it when he was a little boy.

Nathan took my hand, and we headed towards his room. The old wooden door creaked slightly as they entered, leaving behind the homely chatter of the living room.

Once inside the car, Nathan turned to me with a soft smile. - I'm glad she likes you, - he remarked, his expression tinged with a mixture of relief and affection. - She's... really special to me. - His words carried a weight of sentimentality, underscoring the depth of his feelings for me and the significance of my acceptance by someone dear to him.

I smiled back, feeling a warm sense of acceptance. - Your grandma is amazing, Nathan. I'm grateful to be a part of your family.

As they relaxed on Nathan's bed, basking in the warm glow of the string lights that enveloped the room in a cozy ambiance, he reached for the remote and selected a comedy show to watch, the lighthearted laughter serving as a soothing balm to their weary souls.