Chapter 25: Part 2

The previous evening, I almost fell asleep at Isaac's place; I didn't want to rush, I wanted everything between us to go slowly. Late at night, he drove me home, and for some reason, I felt like he was expecting me to say something.
Stressed about what he might be expecting from me, I hurried home, and as soon as he disappeared from the horizon, I collapsed on the ground, feeling a heavy burden on my heart.

You can't mess this up, Sarah...

I repeated incessantly, as if it would somehow help, but it didn't.

Taking the key out of the lock, I headed up the stairs to leave the building and go to class. Unfortunately, my misfortune knew no bounds, and as soon as I crossed the school threshold, Nathan stood right next to me, holding a motorcycle helmet. He hadn't noticed me yet, maybe I still have a chance-

- Hey. - he said casually, as if the fact that just a few days ago, I said a lot of nasty things to him didn't matter at all. And that he's lying to me at every step is normal.

- Nathan, I'm in a hurry. - I lied, my classes didn't start for another hour, but I liked to be early.

- I'd like to talk to you. - he said, placing the helmet on the bench and stepping closer to me.

- We don't have anything to talk about. - I said firmly, but deep down, I begged him to throw me against the wall and tell me to come to my senses.

- Do you have plans after classes? - he asked, looking around us, waiting for my answer.

- No. - I said, mainly because I wanted to hide somewhere, not because I wanted to see him again...

- In that case, I'll wait until you finish them. - he replied, sitting on the bench.

- What, where, here? You want to wait here, on the bench? Half a day? - I said, surprised, pointing to the bench he looked at, puzzled, and replied,

- Is there a problem with this bench? - he said, trying to suppress a laugh.

- No. - I felt my cheeks turn slightly pink, I hope it's not too obvious... - Then I'll go, see you later. Have a nice wait! - I said, quickening my pace.

- I've always waited for you, Sparkle...

Entering the building, I bumped into Camille, who wasn't pleased to see me. For unknown reasons.

- What's going on? - I asked, approaching her.

- What does this guy want from you? - She asked, annoyed seeing me talking to Nathan.

- Nothing, just to talk. - I replied casually, not understanding why she was so angry with me.

- Sarah, just don't regret it later. - Camilla warned me, meaning that I'm with Isaac and she thinks I'll go back to Nathan, but she's dead wrong. Nathan and I are in the past...

Sitting in class, I counted every passing minute as if I were counting on winning the lottery. Because meeting Nathan after so many years was like winning the lottery. It would be if I were still the same Sarah from back then, the one he knew when we were just kids. We planned so much, and now? I feel like I'm talking to a stranger. Or maybe it's not him who changed.

But me.

Leaving the building, I doubted he was still waiting for me. The weather was awful, pouring rain, who would still sit on a bench and get wet just to see someone?

Taking out my umbrella, I headed towards the bench where he was no longer there.

As I thought.

Disappointment appeared on my face; what did I expect, anyway?