Chapter 19: Part 2

I woke up feeling incredibly happy this morning. I couldn't wait to meet Ava; it had been ages since we last saw each other. We often catch up, but our meetings are usually short. We're both so busy with our adult lives, it's hard to find time for each other. That's why these little moments mean so much to me.

When I got out of bed, Camilla was already gone. She's not usually an early bird unless it's about her boyfriend. For him, she'd wake up at any hour, even in the middle of the night.

Still a bit sleepy, I shuffled over to the mirror to check myself out.
- Yikes, I look terrible. - I mumbled. - But we can fix that! -With determination, I flung open my closet and grabbed clothes for the day, quickly changing to make it to my friend's meet-up on time.

I settled on gray jeans, my favorite pink sweater, brown heeled boots, and a light coat. Done! Who knew I could get ready so fast? Glancing at the clock, I groaned. 12:45. Oh fuck, I'm going to be late!

I was supposed to meet Ava at 1:00 at a popular café I'd heard about. Ugh, why did I pick a place so far away!

***

I hurried into the café where Ava was already waiting for me. With a genuine smile on my face, I rushed over to her and enveloped her in a hug.

- Oh my goodness, it's been ages since I last saw you. - Ava exclaimed, studying me with a warm gaze.

Her beautiful red hair cascaded down her back, long and impeccably maintained. Back in high school, Ava never paid much attention to her hair, but now it seemed she took great care of it. She was wearing a green sweater and flared jeans, and I adored her sense of style; it always reminded me of the swinging '60s.

- How have you been? - She asked, scrutinizing me carefully. I smiled gently, placing my bag on the ground and pulling Ava into a tight embrace. Initially taken aback by my gesture, she soon reciprocated. I wanted so badly to stay like this longer, to hold her in my arms and forget about the problems surrounding me. Whenever I feel weary, Ava appears like a bus stop where I wait for the next ride. And when it arrives, I depart with a smile on my face, continuing on through life.

- I've missed you. - I whispered. Ava almost welled up at my words, but I motioned for her to sit down, gesturing to the spot next to me. - Tell me. - I encouraged, knowing exactly what I was asking about.

- It's just a friend, you know that. - Ava replied, rolling her eyes.

- Just a friend, huh? That's what you told your mom in first grade. You can trick your mom, trick your dad, but you can't trick me. - I teased, eliciting laughter from Ava. We often joked like this back when we were teenagers, and now, as two grown women, it was no different.

- There's nothing going on between me and Alex, I swear. - her voice took on a serious note, her eyes locking onto mine, taken aback by her unexpected admission. I had always assumed she was just teasing me, not realizing there was genuinely nothing between her and Alex.

- I thought that... - I started, unsure of how to express myself.

- That just because we have a good friendship, we must automatically be a couple? - Ava interjected, chuckling. She glanced away briefly, as if concealing something from me.

- Alex really cares about you, Ava. - I assured her, certain of my words. I've known Alex for a while now; we've had occasional phone conversations. He was there for me after Nathan and I split, often mentioning Ava. It's hard to believe they're not together.