Chapter 4

During the school break, I was organizing my books in my locker when I saw Adam approaching with a grim expression. Although I had noticed him heading my way earlier, I pretended not to see him. I knew our conversation wouldn't go well, so I hoped to delay it until after the bell. But Adam, always perceptive after three years together, could tell what I was up to and started talking right away.

- We need to talk. - Adam spoke in a sharp tone, looking around to make sure no one was listening.

I raised a questioning gaze at him, hoping to buy some time. The more I pretended to be clueless, the quicker I could escape to class, using the same excuse I always did: "I don't like being late; we'll talk about it later." I was simply tired of the fact that my boyfriend always tried to control my every move, but I didn't want to break up with him. Oh, my mistake, I couldn't break up with him.

- How do you know this guy? - Adam inquired, casting a scrutinizing gaze upon me as I arranged books within my cabinet.

- You mean, Nathan? I met him recently, he's quite nice... - My voice trailed off as I pondered the stark contrast between Nathan's affable demeanor and Adam's tumultuous presence. - But I don't understand why you made drama in front of the whole school. - I continued, my tone laced with a mixture of confusion and frustration. Adam's penchant for public displays of discord was as perplexing as it was exhausting.

- It doesn't matter, but if I catch you with him once more, I can't guarantee how I'll react. - Adam's voice turned menacing, causing shivers to run down my body.

- You starting again? - I said, trying to show that I wasn't scared. - First of all, you said we need break. Second, why do you always have something against my friends... Why do you always have to interfere?

Adam glared at me, seeing that I dared to defy him. The anger in his eyes flared like a flame, and his hand rose right in front of my face.

- Don't even think about it. - Nathan said, visibly angry, as he saw Adam raise his hand towards me.

He had been watching them for a while. Observing Sarah, for a while. And when Adam approached, he realized he couldn't just walk away. He wasn't yet sure what that guy was capable of, so he waited, keenly observing the situation.

- Let me go, you son of a bitch! - Adam growled, his frustration and anger reaching a breaking point.

Nathan, who still had a grip on Adam's arm, decisively pulled him away and pushed him to the ground. Then, he turned to me, seeing my surprise and fear, he immediately began to reassure me.

- Sarah, are you okay? Did he hit you? - Nathan asked, gently touching my cheeks. There was a hint of fear in his voice, suggesting concern that Adam might have already hurt me before, but I was afraid to tell anyone.

- No... It's not like that Nath- - I tried to explain, but then I saw Adam behind Nathan. I couldn't say anything before Adam shoved Nathan and said,

- I told you not to go near her! - Adam's voice sliced through the air like a sharp blade, his eyes blazing with possessive fury.

In response, Nathan stood tall, his stance unwavering despite the tension crackling between them. - You're the one who shouldn't go near her. - He retorted calmly, his words a stark contrast to Adam's volatile outburst.

- Adam, please stop! - I screamed.

Surrounded by a large crowd, drawing the attention of teachers who started yelling for them to stop fighting, but they didn't listen. Eventually, when they were separated, whether we liked it or not, we found ourselves in the principal's office, who wasn't pleased to see his top student involved in a brawl.