Chapter 13

Reaching the familiar doorstep, he paused briefly, then took a deep breath and knocked, unsure of what awaited him on the other side.

- I wonder who it could be at this time? - Sarah's mother asked, rising from the comfortable couch where she had just been lying with her daughter. She moved to the door, opening it carefully and seeing Nathan standing there.

- Mom? Who is it- Nathan? - I asked, my voice hesitant as I turned to see him standing there. Confusion flickered across my face, mingling with a hint of surprise at his unexpected presence.

- Hey, - Nathan greeted me softly, a small smile playing on his lips. His expression held a mix of concern and relief, his eyes searching mine for any sign of distress.

- I'll be in my room, okay? - Mom said, kissing me on the cheek before leaving us alone in the corridor. Her hurried departure hinted at her desire to give us privacy, but her lingering worry was palpable in the furrow of her brow.

- Nathan I- -I started, feeling a mix of emotions swirling inside me. Uncertainty clouded my features, but there was also a flicker of warmth in my eyes at the sight of him.

- Sarah- - Nathan's voice matched my uncertainty, but there was something reassuring in his presence. His posture was relaxed yet attentive, his body language conveying both care and apprehension.

The unexpected encounter brought a shared laughter, a moment of surprise breaking the tension that lingered between them. Nathan, attempting to ease the atmosphere, scratched the back of his head as he spoke. His nervous gesture betrayed his attempt to appear nonchalant, but there was a sincerity in his eyes that couldn't be masked.

- I... I came because I wanted to know if you're okay. - His voice was gentle, his gaze unwavering as he awaited my response, his concern evident in every line of his face.

- After everything that happened today... No, I'm not okay. - I began in a calm tone. But after seeing him now, it's like everything stopped mattering for a moment. - I-I'm sorr- - I tried to let the words out, not realizing the tears, that were falling down my cheeks.

- Sarah, it's okay. Look at me. - Nathan's calm voice enveloped her like a comforting warmth, a presence she needed more than she knew. - Slowly, don't rush. We have time, I-

- You said you wouldn't wait for me forever, we don't have ti- - I began, my words catching in my throat as I struggled to articulate the weight of my emotions.

- Did you really believe what I said back then, Sarah? - Nathan's gaze held a sincerity that cut through the air. - If I had to, I would wait for you forever. Because you are worth it.

My heart skipped a beat, the weight of Nathan's words settling around them like a gentle promise. The silence lingered, with unspoken emotions and the past that still held sway over the present.

Meeting Nathan's gaze, I summoned the courage to voice the weight of my emotions, whispering with a vulnerability that had long been concealed, - Waiting forever seems like a heavy burden.

His expression softening, responded. - It's not a burden when it's for someone you truly care about.

With a playful glint in my eyes, I replied - Well, then I hope you brought a good book or something because forever is a long time.

Nathan chuckled. - I suppose I'll need to work on my patience, won't I? - he remarked, his tone laced with amusement.

I couldn't help but smile in response to his gentle teasing. - And maybe find a more comfortable spot to wait. This corridor isn't the coziest. - I added, a hint of playfulness in my voice as I gestured to our surroundings.