Chapter 17: Part 2

Five years later:

The salty taste of tears streamed down my cheeks, and the darkness seemed endless. Like a labyrinth, each day was difficult to endure, and sleep proved to be the greatest solace. It was painful, so fucking painful. It felt as if someone had ripped my heart out of my chest, replacing it with a scrap of paper to patch the hole. Like eternity, each day grew longer. The pain grew stronger, and my body weaker.

I couldn't do anything about it.

I didn't want to do anything about it.

My thoughts drifted into memories of when I was alive. I was seventeen back then, he was a few months older. We went to the same school, shared the same passions, and above all, we complemented each other. Like a puzzle, it was beautiful, delicate, filled with pain and hatred. Human jealousy knows no bounds; it will go to any length, regardless of the consequences.

- Hey, Sarah. Are you coming to the cafeteria with us?

- Sure.

The darkness disappeared, and then the doors opened. Did I die? I thought at first. It turned out to be a letter from Harvard declaring that I had been accepted. Oh, that was close-I almost fell into depression if not those doors. Several times a day, my friends visited me after Nathan left me.
I was on the brink of anemia, not wanting to eat or drink anything. For three long years, I fought to live another day. I cried, pitied myself, like a typical teenager after losing someone who loved with all their heart. Although I remember those days all too well, they seem like a blur.
But I think it's even better this way.

I don't want to remember him anymore.

I want to forget.

The past no longer matters; what matters now is what is here and now. I am proud of myself for coming this far because if I had given up, I wouldn't be here now.
I wouldn't have met the wonderful new friends who surround me, and I wouldn't have chosen the "Psychology" major, which is the total opposite of what I liked as a teenager.

Also, I wouldn't have met him.

Mucking around with my food, I watched the guy sitting a few benches away. Blond hair, tall, well-built, promising football player. His name is Isaac White, 23 years old, and he's not some playboy or fuckboy. He's just a good guy with pure intentions, and that's what mattered. Not to mention, he's insanely handsome. But despite all that, something holds me back.
It's been 5 years, Sarah, let it go and move forward as Alex said...

- I think he's into you. - Noticed my friend and roommate Camilla. Together with my other friend Archie, they were eating popcorn, watching Isaac as if he were standing there naked.

- Where are these suspicions coming from? - I laughed, pretending I had no idea what she was talking about. I'm not a naive 17-year-old anymore; I knew very well that Isaac was into me, but I didn't want to get into any relationship at the moment. I wasn't ready yet.

- Girl, I'm gay, but even I can see how he looks at you. - Archie scolded me with a glance, finishing off the popcorn.

- I heard girls were checking him out in the locker room, supposedly he's well-endowed. - Camilla whispered, causing Archie's jaw to drop.
They both turned their gaze to me to see my reaction, but unfortunately, they weren't impressed by it.

- Sarah, are you okay? Should I take you to doctor? Let them dig around in your head and see what's in there. - Camilla laughed.

- I think someone should dig into her lower part. - Archie added, prompting Camilla to burst into laughter along with him, drawing the attention of the entire cafeteria.