A quick cough left my lips as I tried to regain my composure from the random question.

"What?"

"I mean, you confess then what? you guys get married have a kid–"

"Alright! Let's just focus on the now!" I said cutting him off with fake enthusiasm.

He shook his head. "Youre talking about the now– but I can see the future," He said, shrugging his shoulders. 

"Yeah, alright Noah." I said chuckling. It was so odd how alike him and Nova were.

Personality wise I mean— from afar they looked like twins, but the only noticeable difference from a distance was the hair.

Then it made me realize, "Noah what's the age difference between you and Nova?" I asked as the question popped into my head.

I never really thought about it until now.

"Like 3 minutes tops,"

"You guys are the same age?!" I quickly turned my body to face him in shock.

"Yeah..." He squinted his eyes.

"So wait, you guys are twins?" I asked feeling a plethora of questions come to mind.

"No..? She just looks like me." He said playfully, rolling his eyes.

"You're the oldest?" I asked, tilting my head.
That was unexpected.

"Well— no, we—"

"Wait shhh–is that Nova?" I asked seeing two familiar people leave the restaurant.

I took a closer look through the window.

That had to be Nova and her dad, who else wore all white suits for no reason?

"That definitely is, let's go!" Noah said, pushing the door open.

I pulled the car door handle before jogging to catch up to Nova.

My thoughts were racing as I crossed the now empty street.

We'd finally be giving this a shot—us a shot.

A huge smile grew on my face as I thought about it more and more. It felt like everything was falling into place. I finally felt happy.

I temporarily halted the thought as I noticed Nova and her dad head into an alleyway.

I didn't want to think anything of it, they were probably cutting through the alley toward the back of the building or something, I mean they only ever leave and enter through the back anyway.

I slowed my jogging down and began walking down the sidewalk in the direction of the alley hoping I didn't miss her yet.

My heart started to pound as I inched closer to my destination, feeling my entire body fill with warmth.

I stopped dead in my tracks right before the alleyway and turned to look at Noah who was still in the parking lot, standing outside his car with the party sized chip bag.

He shot me a thumbs up from outside his car and I took one last deep breath.

You got this.

...Maybe?

Okay whatever.

I turned around and took the last few steps before arriving in the alley.

And every feeling of joy instantly got drained from my body.

Was I seeing things?

I had to be.

I remained completely still, watching from the distance as Nova's dad held some guy up against the brick alleyway building.

The guy appeared to have blood coming from some part of his face. I couldn't tell where from the distance.

I knew that this was the type of stuff mafias did but this didn't feel right.

Something was off.

I immediately knew why when I saw Nova reach behind her under her blazer.

I just was hoping she wasn't doing what i think she was doing.

But all of my hopes and wishes flew out the window when the light reflected off of the shiny object in her hand.

I kept my eyes locked on her as my labored breathing seemed to get noticeable by the second.

But it managed to get worse when the shiny object was placed directly under the person's chin.

She wasn't.

I was frozen in place and I couldn't even think clearly.

It was like the world stopped, and I did too.

But I had to do something. Before she did.

"Nova!?"And as soon as her name left my mouth, I heard the sound of a pop in the distance.

The sound of the heavy gun hitting the concrete soon followed and then Nova's eyes met mine.

Everything was silent, or maybe I drowned everything out. Cause as soon as Nova started walking toward me I backed up.

But as she kept slowly inching closer, the adrenaline from the situation really settled in, causing me to sprint back to Noah.

Nova's voice became clearer as I progressively calmed myself down.

"Mariah let me explain."

I didn't have the strength to mentally or physically respond.

I didn't even know how to feel about this, everything was just so sudden. Giving me little time to decipher what really just happened.

I didn't feel like myself right now.

It felt like an out of body experience, like the real me is floating around watching this play out while my body was on autopilot.

She lightly grabbed my wrist, turning my body around causing me to face her and I couldn't look at her— I shouldn't.

But I couldn't tear my gaze away, I stared up at her with tears threatening to fall from my eyes with each passing second.

As everything began to catch up to me my hands started to involuntarily shake, causing Nova to divert her attention down.

When her eyes met my hands I made a tight fist hoping to suppress the movement.

"Mariah, please let me explain this." Nova said softly. There was something different in her tone.

I've never heard her like this. It was unfamiliar.

Still unable to form an opinion, I shook my head slowly trying to hold back my tears.

I just didn't have anything to say to her.

"Say something." she whispered, stepping closer to me. "please."

But before any other words could be exchanged Noah's voice soon joined the one sided conversation.

"Yay! Reunited!" Noah called out, and I shifted my attention to the ground, using this as an opportunity to catch my breath.

"What's going..." he trailed off and I tugged my arm away from Nova causing her hold on me to let go completely.

I sped walked back toward Noah's car hoping this would all be over soon.

But something tells me this would be over as quickly as it started.