Chapter 38 Dawn

Soon after their short meeting, all four of them met with the head monk and came clean with everything. Of Ye An's true identity, of what Sze Chang had been doing since he left the temple, of Xi Chen's role in the military, and of Prince Adlai's legacy. The head monk went through a myriad of emotions as he listened, his expression mirroring every turn of his journey.

"I-" The head monk paused as if his voice had not caught up with his thoughts. He then directed a reprimanding stare towards Sze Chang, a contrast to the shock and disbelief in his eyes when he was first told about the young man's deeds. "I don't think I need to tell you that what you did was wrong. Very wrong. If I need to, then I would've failed in my teachings."

Sze Chang's throat bobbed as he lowered his eyes with shame. "Of course not. I know that I was wrong. Regardless of what my initial intentions were."

The head monk's pursed lips were the only indication of his crossness but his eyes now held a tinge of compassion that wasn't there earlier. "So you're saying that you're bringing Miss An-" He paused and turned to Ye An apologetically. "My apologies. You're bringing Her Imperial Majesty-" The head monk switched his focus back onto Sze Chang. "-to the capital to bring down this General Shao as well as Leader Wakhia from the North? Is that right?" The head monk ended his question with a gaze towards Prince Adlai. 

"Yes." Sze Chang answered with Prince Adlai nodding beside him. 

With his gaze still on Prince Adlai, the head monk then questioned, "Can I have your word that this won't bring another bout of war? I have no qualms of going against the general because he was the root cause of the chaos that is currently happening in Middle Kingdom. But do I have your word that having a Northern tribe leader executed on Middle Kingdom's soil would not bring upon more havoc for the common people?"

Prince Adlai's eyes faltered for a second but he quickly regained his composure. "I could only promise to try my best in de-escalating the situation as soon as possible. I'm not one for empty promises. I couldn't find it in myself to give you the perfect verbal assurance when I very well know that there are some of my countrymen who are, for whatever reason, loyal to Leader Wakhia and Leader Wakhia only. But what I could promise you is that I will try my absolute hardest to quell any animosity among the people I govern. Because with me being on this side of the field, North's stability is also at stake if there are any dissent stemming from this." 

The head monk mulled over Prince Adlai's statement before turning to Ye An. "Your Imperial Majesty-" Coming from the head monk's lips, the royal title felt rusty and foreign to Ye An.

"Please. Just call me Miss An as you usually do."

"But-" The head monk started to protest.

Ye An interjected. "I might've been the emperor in Middle Kingdom. But I'm just Miss An here, at the Temple of Ninety-Nine Blessings, where there are no political interference."

The head monk cleared his throat. "Very well, Miss An."

"Besides, I don't think I'm the emperor any longer." Ye An murmured. "I'm aware of the people's disapproval when they found out that I was a woman."