Chapter 30 Molting

For the past two weeks, Ye An returned to the underground lake daily to watch Xi Chen from the bank. Every day, she would wake up at first light, grab whatever was available from the kitchens, usually plain steamed buns, and sit by the lake in the dark, not even bothering to light any of the torches on the wall and choosing to shroud herself in darkness instead. 

It was the same today.

"I see that you're here again." 

Ye An started. It was the head monk. She hadn't seen him since the day he brought her around the grounds. The head monk swept the folds of his yellow robes underneath him in a graceful motion and sat by Ye An. He peered at the half-eaten steamed bun on her hand. "I heard from the cooks that all you've eaten for the past two weeks were steamed buns. And ones without any fillings at that."

"Well, that isn't true." Ye An croaked her protest. Her voice came out sounding like the rusty creak of an old wheel. Besides the barely uttered thank yous to the cooks each morning, Ye An hasn't spoken much. "I think I had mushroom skewers sometime last week."

The head monk smiled kindly. "Ah. Those are one of my favorites. The spices on them are delightful. Did you enjoy it?"

"I guess." Ye An blurted without much thought, her eyes reverted back to Xi Chen who was floating serenely in the distance. To be completely honest, she didn't really remember nor care how it tasted. These days, Ye An was merely eating to sustain her body.

The head monk followed Ye An's gaze. "I heard from Yu Lan that you knew that man."

Ye An turned towards the head monk questioningly. "Yu Lan?"

"Ah. You haven't introduced each other? The elderly lady who tended to you." The head monk explained. "Come to think of it. I haven't even asked for your name and you've been here for half a month. What is your name?"

Ye An hesitated for a moment before muttering, "An. My name is An." The barely uttered name echoed in the vastness of the still cave.

The head monk wasn't a fool. The wrinkles framing his knowing eyes and curving around his smile were proof of his years of living and therefore honing his instincts. He knew that wasn't really Ye An's name. Or at least not entirely. The head monk could push for more, even ask for her surname but he decided against it. "Well. That's a nice name. It means peace, isn't it?"

Ye An nodded quietly, no longer focusing on the head monk. She continued watching Xi Chen, his peaceful figure a contrast to the convoluted mess in her mind as a memory bloomed through the misty fog in her mind. 

The memory of Governess Hsu speaking to her about the meaning behind her name was still vivid and fresh in Ye An's mind like the scene had just happened yesterday. But she was swiftly reminded that the governess no longer walked the human realm. Following that train of thought, Ye An's mind also went to the late Empress Mother and to Ah Lin. Ah Lin, who didn't deserve the gruesome death that met him. Ye An closed her eyes tight as if the physical barrier of her eyelids could keep the images out of her mind. The fact that both Governess Hsu and Ah Lin didn't have a proper funeral weighed heavy on Ye An's heart. Ye An grabbed at the clothes at the bottom of her chest where she felt her heart had sunk.