Chapter 2 War

Xi Chen brought the parchment to Ye An right after he removed it from the pigeon so that they could read it together. Both of them stared at each other in alarm after reading Ah Lin's words. Xi Chen was the first to recover.

"Your Imperial Majesty, I'll need to arrange for reinforcement troops to head up north." Xi Chen said urgently as he collected his things.

"Bring me with you. I'd like to join you on the frontlines." Ye An said with steel in her voice that told Xi Chen she wasn't going to take no for an answer. Ye An then turned towards the grand eunuch. "We'll get back to this once I settled things at the northern border. In the meantime, please make the necessary arrangements to cancel all future events until the situation at the northern border is diffused."

"Yes, Your Imperial Majesty." The grand eunuch bowed as the three of them rushed out to perform their respective tasks.

As they were about to leave, they were met with one of the guards manning the top of the Heavenly Gates. It appeared as if he had run as fast as he possibly could all the way from the gate as evidenced by the sweat that was currently streaming down the sides of his face even in this brisk weather. 

Xi Chen knitted his eyebrows. "Why did you leave your post, soldier?"

"Forgive me, Lieutenant Yun, but I have some urgent news for you and Your Imperial Majesty."

"What is it?" Ye An asked, her voice tight.

"The ministers are protesting at the gates. They- They are asking you to give up on the throne, Your Imperial Majesty. And they had even rallied their servants and the commoners to join them."

Ye An furrowed her brows. "Why the sudden protest?"

"I'm not too sure, but it seems as if someone has been spreading rumors that.." The soldier trailed off, his eyes avoiding Ye An's.

"That?" Ye An pushed, her eyes zeroing in on the guard's wavering gaze.

With his eyes to the ground, the soldier continued in a small voice. "That you are actually a woman, Your Imperial Majesty." 

Xi Chen and the grand eunuch stiffened beside Ye An as she turned to look at Xi Chen, worry etched in her eyes. After the grand eunuch's story, she couldn't help but think that this must have been General Shao's work. But the general was at the northern border this whole time. Ye An was pretty sure that he wasn't back in the capital. Surely, he wouldn't return here if he was indeed the reason that spurred the late Empress Mother's death. 

Ye An quickly turned her attention back to the guard. "Let the ministers, and only the ministers, in. We'll be having an emergency court meeting."

"Of course, Your Imperial Majesty." The guard bowed and ran back towards the Heavenly Gates.

Ye An then turned to the grand eunuch as they quickened their steps toward the East Palace. "Please make the arrangements for the court meeting, grand eunuch. And please inform Governess Hsu to make preparations for the journey north. Lieutenant Yun and I will be commencing our travel right after the meeting. Send the chariot to pick me up from the Throne Hall in an hour."