Chapter 20 Homecoming

It wasn't just Ye An who noticed. The soldier on watch came rushing into the commander's post. "Your Imperial Majesty! We've spotted Lieutenant Yun!"

Ye An watched as Xi Chen weaved through the trunks of leafless trees. He was headed to the mountains where he had left from just a couple of nights ago. It wasn't long before it became apparent to Ye An that it wasn't only him. There were a pair of Northerners who were hot on his heels. If she wasn't mistaken, they were the same Northerners who were taken as prisoners during the first battle and subsequently brought back to the North by Xi Chen.

Without a word, Ye An rushed down the tower, bumping into Ah Lin who had just finished sending the other troops off.

"Your Imperial Majesty?" Ah Lin asked, puzzled by the way Ye An hurried down the steps.

"Xi Chen!" Ye An panted. "He's back."

Ah Lin's eyes widened. "Where is he?"

Ye An ran past him and yelled over her shoulder. "He's heading towards the mountain that he had left from the other night."

"Wait-" Ah Lin tried to stop her but it was too late.

The soldier who reported to Ye An followed closely behind her but he couldn't catch up and only bumped into Ah Lin now. "Captain Zhang!"

"Send a troop to the mountains on the east. Use the horses. And get horses for me and His Imperial Majesty." Ah Lin instructed brusquely before running off in the direction Ye An had just disappeared into.

It didn't take long until Ah Lin was within Ye An's earshot. "Your Imperial Majesty! We can't go up the mountain like this! We need horses!"

Ye An had been trying to climb over the jagged stones that were slippery from the melting snow. Those spear-like stones nearly impaled herself far too many times than she was comfortable with. She turned in the direction of Ah Lin's voice. "Did you bring horses?"

"I've ordered my men to get them."

Ye An swiftly returned to what she was doing. "Then, we climb for now."

When soldiers finally arrived with their horses, Ye An and Ah Lin already made significant progress considering the precarious terrain.

The soldier who was on watch earlier brought Ye An and Ah Lin their horses.

"Your Majesty. Captain Zhang." He addressed them as he passed the reins.

Both of them hopped on their respective horses at once.

"Lead the way, Captain Zhang." Ye An ordered.

Ah Lin pulled the reins of his horse so that the animal moved to the tip of their formation. Half an hour had passed when they finally reached the snow-capped peak.