Austin's Family || Chapter 35

ARI's POV

My knees kept bouncing as I waited for Cleo's call telling me that she was already downstairs.

I have been pacing for almost an hour, trying to figure out how to keep Cleo away from the hospital once we get back to LA. I know she's also worried about Frankie.

They were so close before and I'd hate myself if I asked her to stay away just because I was a pussy to tell her the truth.

I've been going back and forth about my decision... mainly because I know that she's happy now. She looked so contented and satisfied with her life... a life that was meant to be for her. On top of that... she has... her.

My emotions were all over the place. I'm worried about my brother... but one thing I was most worried about is my son. Mom told me that Hale, Frankie, and Austin was in the car when the accident happened.

All she gave me was Austin and Frankie was in a bad condition... I've tried calling her but she was out of reach. Thoughts swirled into my head, making me overthink and imagine scenarios once I get back.

Please not my baby... he was about to celebrate his birthday soon... please... I can't lose him too.

Austin hasn't even met Cleo yet... He knows about her... but they haven't met each other yet... I promise... once he gets better... I will swallow my pride and my selfish reasons... just make him better

There were a lot of things I was supposed to tell Cleo that day... but I wasn't able to just because I saw her -- she looked so cozy with Dakota... she seemed to be making her happy and I can't ruin that.

I've already ruined and taken a lot of things from her. I don't want this to be added to the damn list of my stupidity. Selfish... yes... but I actually think that it'll be better off like this.

After my countless attempts of contacting Cleo before, I never thought that I'd get a chance to see her again, much less say that we have a son together.

I know I should've told her... when she proposed to me... but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

There was this thought looming over my head -- that she was meant to do greater things... which she did -- Madrigal Corporation was flourishing for the past three years, all thanks to their new CEO and Chairman of the Board. 

After we met that day, I've already accepted our situation... I've already decided to not tell her about Austin... but it seems that fate has been testing us.

All of the regrets... the pain... everything that I've been dealing with on a daily basis resurfaced and it was making me fucking break. I don't know what to do anymore... I know I can no longer avoid this.

My heart was breaking for my Austin every single day... as he kept on growing, the resemblance between her and Cleo becomes more clearer. Although, I've never skipped a bed time story where I tell him about his 'daddy' as he called it...

Telling him how awesome she was... how perfect Cleo was when we were together. I had to make up some lies that she was away and working... but I've always told him that she loved him... even if she was in another place.

He always longed for Cleo... always looking at the news clippings with wonder in his eyes. He was a quiet and reserved kid... all behaved and honestly... he was just like Cleo, just with a bit of me in him.

He kept me afloat these past few years... he was my anchor. And I cannot lose him... I've already lost his mom... I'll do everything in my power to make sure that he'll be okay.

"Ari?" I heard Rashad knock on my door. Without any qualms, I almost ripped the door open, with my luggage ready at hand.

"Cleo's downstairs. Ray just called me. They're waiting, are you ready?" He spoke in a calm tone, trying to gauge my mood. I gave him a slight nod as I walked out of the room.