Impusle || Chapter 20

"Ariana, what do you think?" Scooter glanced at me.

We were in the middle of a meeting with the managing staff. He wasn't aware of what this meeting was all about. I asked Scooter to keep it to ourselves first. I don't want others to know that one of the people who betrayed Cleo was a part of my team. Aside from her still not knowing -- we still have to discuss about what she said this morning.

That is more important than some shady staff member who betrayed us.

"I'm good with whatever, Scoot. You do the talking, I'll just be here for formality's sake." I answered in a clipped tone. Everyone was looking at us apprehensively and giving us the side-eyes.

"Alright, this meeting is about the information that has been leaked. Everybody knows who Cleo Phillips is, right?" He paused and earned collective nods from our staff. "So... it has come to my attention that the one who pulled some strings and got it leaked was from our team. Now, I've always been a good boss to everyone, but when it comes to situations like this... I'm afraid I'll have to cut you loose."

He sighed in defeat. Scooter cared about his team like they were his family. They came first every time there were some hiccups or mishaps -- he never wanted to fire anybody, but this situation needs action to be done.

"A lawsuit has been filed by Cleo's father recently, which -- I have worked with already. We're lucky that Gilbert Phillips was kind enough to let us investigate first before he pushed through with the case." Scooter explained further, earning whispers across the room.

I observed the room, everyone was roaming their eyes around. They already have an idea what we're doing here. They knew that we already know who... we were just giving him a chance to come clean.

"Who in their right mind would pick a fight with the Phillips, Scoot? Jesus, this is a massive headache when the press gets a whiff of what's happening here." Allen Timbers, Scooter's executive assistant, was pissed off. 

He was the one buried with the paper works recently because of Harvey Paulsen's selfish act. He knew about the leak -- he knew that we're trying to play dumb here, he was a part of the planning.

"Exactly my thoughts, Al -- exactly my thoughts. Now, to clear things out... I already know who did this. I did my homework... so I'm giving you the chance to redeem yourself, even just a little bit... come forward now, or you'll be facing two lawsuits. One from us, and one from the Phillips." Scooter's stern and serious voice boomed the green room.

Everyone stopped whispering, they were all looking around to see who would step forward. In my peripheral view, I can see Harvey sitting coolly at the corner. As if he didn't know anything about what has been happening.

That alone made my blood boil. He almost cost me my Cleo -- it was a good thing that my relationship with her and her parents weren't damaged or else, he would be facing me. He had the nerve to pretend and act like this doesn't concern him at all.

Before I could hold it in, I stood and released the breath I didn't know I was holding. Everybody looked at me in wonder. "Ari." Scooter said in warning.

"I don't think he'll come forward, Scoot." It was a moot point to have him come forward. He clearly wasn't acting guilty about this. Maybe he thought, he could get away with slandering Cleo's name.

Not on my watch, bastard.

I walked to the middle of the room, not even trying to keep my calm. They said that I could be pretty scary when angry -- so I need all the anger I could muster to show off these corporate assholes that they could never mess with me and Cleo again.