Friends? || Chapter 32

"Cleo, we've been going on the specifics for over an hour now. Can you please decide if you'll take on this deal or are we gonna pass up on it? It's almost 10 PM, and I'd like to have a nice chat with my daughter before she went to bed." Jason, my current acting COO said as we checked on the nitty-gritty of our embargoed contract with Clifton Motors.

He's currently working with different teams on my behalf since I'm here in LA. I wanted to make sure that everything goes smoothly with the presentation they'll be having tomorrow that's why we were in a zoom call to discuss everything.

Sadly, the only available slot I have right now today was nighttime for him.

"I'm sorry, Jace. I just need to get this ironed out — we can't afford any mistakes with this one. This is a big company and the board's expecting Clifton by the end of next week." I apologized to him, I hated taking the time of my people away from their families.

The reason why the CEO must remain unmarried was because of this — you must lead your people and make sure that they're comfortable and have a work-life balance. Technically, you'll be the sacrificial lamb.

Yep — the motto: Happy employees, happy life.

Technically, the company has become my fucking wife.

I realized this pretty early so yeah, I just came to terms with it. Besides, there's nothing else holding me back.

"Okay, I get you. But don't worry — I'll have everything for tomorrow and report it back to you as soon as the meeting ends. Please get some fucking rest, stop micro-managing everything. You're on vacation — get some tan, or I don't know — get laid." He chuckled as he joked.

Oh, Jason. You hahe no idea.

I just laughed at him. He was right — I'm on vacation, so I should at least enjoy and keep work out of my mind for a bit.

Jace was a good guy, who recently was from our Marketing and Advertising department. His potential was unparalleled and his performance has always been underrated.

I took him under my wing and promoted him as my COO. The board was pretty much displeased with my decision and asked for a vote — but for now, until they don't have a very reliable candidate — he stays.

"Alright. You can go now, sorry for taking your time, Jace. I'll be in touch later." I said with a timid smile.

When I got of the call, an email from Nathan appeared. It was all the details of the revision for our recent contract — good lord, of course I had to review this again. 

I have never been so tired in my life.

Half way through my skimming, my phone rang and without checking the ID, I answered.

"Phillips" I mindlessly answered.

Silence welcomed my ears. I immediately back the phone up from my ears to check the name — oh, it was just a number.

"Hello?" I asked again. Okay — this was getting irritating, I've got so much to do.

"Aight, if you're just pranking me or whatever, keep my number off your list. I don't have time for thi —" I almost choked with my own spit when I heard the voice from the other line.

"Please don't hang up..." No... it couldn't be.

I have back been in LA for three days — I was expecting a quiet and peaceful visit to my parents. I wasn't expecting this...

Suddenly, I couldn't find my voice. A fish out of water was the perfect description.

"I — Cleo... don't hang up." She uttered almost too quietly.