Vacation Part 1 || Chapter 21

My knees bounced as our car went through the gates of the O2 Arena. People were lined up and I can see the paparazzi on the other side.

Their cameras were pointed to the black Escalade limo where my parents rode. We decided to convoy instead of going together in one car.

They kept on insisting that we should just use one car, but I wanted to be alone for a moment. I have already talked to Ariana over the phone and I was ecstatic. I didn't want my parents see how giddy I was when I heard her say she loves me.

"You look happy, boss." Ray uttered as he smoothly manuvered across the street.

His eyes were on me through the rear-view mirror. I could see the smirk on his lips, making me glare at him. I knew he was just teasing, he always does this to annoy me.

"I am." I simply answered, not giving away any information.

I want to keep this to myself first — well, I want to bask in it. Like... this is the first time — after Naomi, that I've been geniunely happy.

I'd rather keep it to myself first, than jinx it.

"Aren't you a ball of sunshine? Look how events turned, you were so sulky this morning. Thought your girlfriend broke up with you or something."

He was clearly playing, but I know he was curious as to why I was suddenly so perky. It was true, I was really down earlier — who wouldn't? I thought Ariana rejected me and doesn't feel the same way.

"Nah, just a little misunderstanding. Everything's okay now." An unconscious smile escaped.

Everything's perfect, indeed.

"I haven't seen you so happy, like this, Cleo. That's something — I've been working for your family since you were a baby. I'm glad that you're happy, boss." Sincerity was oozing from his voice.

He was one of my trusted employees, but besides that — he was also my first friend. I appreciate Ray so much, he was the one who took care of me whenever my parents were busy.

"Do you need a hanky, Ray? Your tears are showing." I said with a smirk.

I saw him roll his eyes and chuckled. However, before he could speak again, a frown formed on his face.

"Yeah, copy that. Cover the perimeter — no, Cleo's safe with me. I'll ask her to call Aria — Don't! Fuck! — listen, this is just the paparazzi — make sure you don't let any of those vultures near Leona and Gilbert!" Ray hissed through his mic.

"Fucking newbies! Why did I bring these under trained men with me?! Jesus Christ!" He looked really annoyed and stressed out.

"What's the matter?" I asked, with my back still relaxed against my seat. I knew Ray could handle anything, I wasn't even worried.

"Nothing. These new guards I brought clearly don't have any knowledge about paparazzi protocols! I should've just brought your college guards with me! At least they knew what to do." He was already gripping the steering wheel tightly.

Oof, papa Ray's pretty pissed! I was enjoying seeing him like this — he rarely gets pissed with his men.

"Stop being smug — ugh. We should've gone first! God. Can you call up your girlfriend, Cleo? Ask if she could send a couple of her men to help out. I need to attend to your parents." He asked as he turned to face me from the driver's seat.

I immediately dialed Ariana's number and after a couple of rings she answered.

"Baby! Hi, are you almost here? I'm in the dressing room, hurry!" She sounded so excited.