Twenty Eight. is my soul worth saving?

XXVIII.    is my soul worth saving?

      Mia remembered one night she and her dad laid side by side on their grown yard, looking up at the stars, and she whisper to him, "Daddy, will I grow up to be like you?"

Riley Jones looks at his daughter. "Grow up to be like you, Amelia."

"What does that mean?"

"Don't the to be like anybody else. Be like you. There's nobody better in the world like yourself."

She was seven years old. His words didn't stick with her like they did now. Mia always tried to be like her father. Like her mother. Like Lucas. Like everybody around her. She never tried being herself. She was chasing something that no longer existed. Her heart was never full filled. She would never be satisfied with the life she lived. Who could be living in a zombie apocalypse? Even when she was surrounded by people that loved her, people that cared about her safety, Mia was despondent. There is no god who could give her back her purity. She would never be cleaned from sin. Rotten children don't deserve heaven.

Mia felt numb to everything around her. Maggie wiped the blood from her head and face yet she couldn't feel a thing. Her eyes studied the wooden swirls on the pew in front of her. Her and Bob lied almost lifeless, for that's how they were feeling, with their people surrounding them. Carl couldn't keep his eyes off of her, like he was waiting for a reaction. For her to look at him. But she was blank.

"I was in the graveyard. Somebody knocked me out. I didn't even know Mia was out there until I saw that they took her too. I woke up outside this place. It looked like a school." Bob explained while heaving in pain. "It was that guy, Gareth. And five other ones. They were eating my leg right in front of me like it was nothing. They would've gotten Mia too if we were there any longer."

The information caused Maggie to inhale a sharp breath. She looked at Mia again but she was still spaced out. She was clearly in shock.

"All proud like they had it all figured out."

"Did they have Daryl and Carol?" Rick asked them but his focus was more on Bob.

Bob took short but quick breaths. "Gareth said they drove off." He groaned in pain again.

"He's in pain. Do we have anything?" Sasha asked in a panic. She held onto his hand tightly.

"I think there are pill packets in the first aid kit." Rosita answered from where she was sitting on the pre with Eugene.

She nodded her head but Bob objected. "Save em."

"No."

"Really."

Mia blinked her eyes and felt them water with tears. She didn't have to heart to look at Sasha's face when Bob sat up and lowered the collar of his shirt, revealing his walker bite to them. Sasha was in a state of shock as she stared at it. Then she looked at him and her face slowly contorted into sadness. "It happened at the food bank." Bob told her.