Seven. a bad liar with a savior complex

VII. a bad liar with a savior complex

      When Amelia woke up in an unfamiliar bed, she panicked

She'd gotten use to sleeping on dead grass and muddy leaves. Use to the ache in her back from the uncomfortableness. But then she remembered that she was in a prison cell. The cell Rick assigned to her. Mia rose up and leaned on her right arm, taking in the empty cell that was now filled with sunlight. Her body was covered with a blanket instead of her ripped flannel. The clothes Beth lent to her were still fresh. Her brown hair was dry and clean.

She was given another chance to live a normal life. Or as normal as it could get in a zombie apocalypse. She eyed the stitched scars on her wrists, courtesy of Hershel Greene, a man of kindness. Of course he was the Greene girls' father. Mia had slight hope that everything would be okay.

She shivered when her feet hit the cold floor. She put on her worn out boots that were too small for her (She had them since she was twelve.) and walked out of her cell. She looked left and right once before walking down the empty hall to find Beth.

Beth was lying stomach down her bed with her face buried in a book. Hearing footsteps, she lifted her head to see Mia looking around her decorated cell. "Mia, you're awake!" She beamed. "How did you sleep?"

"Good." She answered simply when it was the best sleep of her life.

Beth smiled again. "Well good. I'm glad." She bookmarked the page in her book and got off the bed.

Mia looked around her cell again. It the epitome of a teenage girl bedroom. Posters and art work on the walls. A dresser with picture frames and books. A desk with pencils and notebooks. It was simple but she made it hers. "I like your cell."

Another smile curled at her lips. "Thanks! I figured I would be here a while so I might as well try to make it livable." Her bright eyes scanned her appear and they lingered on her brown curls. "I love your hair. I've always wanted curls like those."

Mia gingerly touched a piece of her hair. "I've always wanted hair like yours." She muttered a response, feeling envious every time she eyed her blonde hair.

"Well I think it looks good on you. Wanna head down to breakfast with me? I can't imagine how hungry you must be."

Mia's stomach turned hollow at the mention of food. Without hesitating, she followed Beth out of the cell. "I can't wait for you to meet everyone. They're going to love you. There's so many kids here too so you won't be alone if I'm not around. Rick has a son your age. His name is Carl. . ."

Mia noticed all the cells she walked by had sheets hanging from the entrance for privacy. She made a mental note to do that. The commons area of the prison was filled with children and adults. Their laughter was loud. It echoed off the walls. Mia grew more nervous with each step she took, her footsteps scruffing against the concrete floor.