Seventeen. ain't no mountain high enough

XVII. ain't no mountain high enough

   ain't no mountain high enough

two years ago.

      Mia stared out the window of her father's vehicle,  watching the way the fallen leaves blew from how fast he was driving. It was cold in the car and her forehead was pressed against the cool glass. She hadn't said a word since they left their home in such a hurry. She was afraid to say anything. Her father was in distress. Paris, practically still a baby, was whining in her car seat. Lucas was silent. Only his silence was because he was afraid. It was because he was trying to appear strong. He was like their father in many ways. He never wanted to seem weak. He always tried putting his best foot forward.

Riley Jones shifted his eyes from the road to the mirror and looked at his daughter in the backseat. "You okay back there, Mia?"

Mia shifted her head so that she was looking at him and she nodded, but no words came out.

A small sigh passed his lips and he glanced over at Paris, who was sucking on her fingers. He looked over at Lucas, seeing him stare out the window. He looked back at the road and tapped his fingers on the steering wheel in thought. He used his other hand to turn on the radio and turn the volume up. He smiled when Ain't No Mountain High Enough started to play.  "Listen baby!" He sang. "Ain't no mountain high, ain't no valley low, ain't no river wide enough, baby,"

Lucas chuckled at his terrible singing and Paris let out a string of giggles.

"If you need me, call me, no matter where you are," he sang again and he looked into the mirror at Mia. "No matter how far, don't worry, baby. Just call my name, i'll be there in a hurry,"

She cracked a smile.

"Cause baby, there ain't no mountain high enough,  ain't no valley low enough, ain't no river wide enough to keep me from getting to you, baby!"

"Daddy, you can't sing." Paris said from the backseat.

Lucas laughed out loud and Mia held back a laugh. Their father gasped sarcastically. "Why didn't you say anything before?"

"I didn't want to hurt your feelings!"

"I think you're good, dad." Said Mia and it was the first thing she had said since leaving Dallas.

Riley looked into the mirror again and smiled at her.  "Cause baby, there ain't no mountain high enough. ain't no valley low enough, ain't no river wide enough to keep me from getting to you, baby."

present.

      When Mia heard footsteps, she looked away from the window to see Carl standing in the doorway of her room. She sat on the bay window with her knees brought to her chest. "I'm going on a run. Are you coming?" He spoke to her.