Fifteen. you went quiet and I got mean

XV. you went quiet and I got mean 

   you went quiet and I got mean 

two years before.

      The months dragged on and soon turned into years. It was always hot. Scorching. Hardly ever a breeze. Mia was covered in sweat and dirt. Her tinted skin got darker from the sun. Her cheeks were sunburn red. Her brown curls fell in knots around her head, strands sticking to her face and neck. Her feet dragged along the dead leaves and dirt, exhaustion and dehydration battling one another.

Lucas was ahead of her. His dark eyes looked around them, silently looking for someone to go. It was too quiet. Not a sound of wind blowing through the trees. It was just still. It was unbelievable. Mia cleared her throat and winced at the raw feeling. She hadn't had a drop of water in days. Lucas's keen ears heard. "We need to find water."

"Really now?" She didn't mean to sound mean. She was just tired.

He rolled his eyes. "There has to be a water source around here somewhere." He continued while looking around the forest.

Mia shook her head. "We've been walking for miles, Luke. There's nothing." She heaved. Her chest felt tight every time she breathed.

Lucas went quiet again and looked around the area. He pointed to the left. "Let's go that way."

Mia obliged and followed her twin down the pathway.  Lucas was always the best at tracking so she just stayed back and let him do his thing. He felt something hit his cheek that caused him to wipe his face. On his palm was a dead mosquito. "A mosquito?"  He mumbled to himself. 

When he heard a slap, he turned around to see Mia slapping her arm. "Ouch! Why's there so many bugs?"

Feeling another bug land on his arm, he slapped it away and began to think. "Bugs. Bugs are attracted to water. That's means. . ." When it clicked, Lucas's eyes went wide and he started to run.

"Luke!" Mia called his name.

Lucas heard the rustling of water and then he saw a small watering hole just past the tree. "Water!" He exclaimed, his voice echoing.

His sister's eyes widened as well. When they got to the watering hole, she fell to her knees. "Oh my gosh." She exhaled and stuck her hands in the water.

The twins splashed their faces. Lucas felt like he was in heaven. "This feels amazing."

Mia sighed at the feeling of the cold water cooling down her scorching skin. She cupped her hands and brought it to her lips.  "I knew you were good for something, Luke."