Nine. the fight of our lives

IX. the fight of our lives

      Mia always had a love for books

Madeline Jones used to read to all her children at bed time. It was part of the nighttime ritual. When Amelia was old enough to read by herself, she fell in love with literature. She asked for a book every year for her birthday and Christmas until they started collecting. The first book she was gifted was Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë. It was her favorite book. Even holding the tattered copy in her hands now. It still felt and smelled brand new.

It was one of the only things she had left of her mother. When she opened the front page, she found a picture bookmarked of her with her mom and dad, Lucas, and Paris. It was Christmas Eve. Her mom looked so healthy in the picture. It made her throat tighten.

An appearance at her cell made her close the book and she glance up to see Beth standing at the entrance. She had a distance look on her face. She came in and sat on her bed. "Zack's dead."

Mia's face softened. She put the book down and sat beside her. "Are you okay?"

She just shrugged. "I have to be."

"It's okay to be sad, Beth. You lost someone you cared about."

"I'm just glad I didn't say goodbye." She spoke like it was nothing. But really, it was everything. Beth was still a teenager. Her heart was soft and gentle. She hurt. Teen girls always hurt.

Mia frowned and looped her arm through hers. She leaned her head against her shoulder. "I'm sorry." She whispered.

She felt Beth lean her head on hers.

Mia woke up to sunlight peaking into her cell. Her eyes fluttered open and she groaned. It was a calm, quiet morning. She heard the sound of chatter from the level below her. Mia lazily climbed off the bed and ran her hands through her shirt, knotted curls. When she turned around, she was faced with a snarling walker and she screamed.

"MIA!"

Her screams drowned out Daryl's voice. The undead creature grabbed her arm and jerked her towards it. Mia screamed again and she pushed against its shoulders in attempt to get away but its jaws snapped at her.

Blood splattered on her and the walls when Daryl shot an arrow through the walker's dead. Mia yelped in fear when it dropped to the ground. He came running into her spell. "You alright? Did it get ya" his thick accent announced.

She shook her head, unable to form words.

"We gotta lock the gates!" She heard Sasha shout.

Mia followed Daryl out of the cell and everyone ran to lock the gates to the tombs. She rushed outside in the bright sunlight where Rick, Carol, and Glenn stood. "Walkers in D!" Glenn shouted frantically.