Sixteen. a piece of you's dead inside

XVI a piece of you's dead inside

      The tension between Carl and Rick made Mia want to hide in one of the rooms and not come out

      The tension between Carl and Rick made Mia want to hide in one of the rooms and not come out. The silence was suffocating and Carl's bad attitude only made it worse. She was hanging up black blankets over the windows to keep anyone or anything from being able to see inside. Rick was shuffling around the dark room, limping and holding his side. Mia watched him with concern.

Rick started to scoot the couch toward the door,  grunting in the process. Carl, who was tying the door shut with a black tv cord, snapped. "I tied the door shut."

"We don't need to take any chances."

"You don't think it'll hold?"

"Carl!" Rick shouted his name.

"It's a strong knot! Clove hitch." Carl's face darkened. "Shane taught me. Remember him?"

Mia remembered the conversation they had where Carl told her about Shane, who was Rick's best friend that he shot. She widened her eyes. "Carl!"

"Yeah, I remember him," Rick confirmed with a firm tone. "I remember him every day. There something else you want to say to me?"

Mia looked between the father and son with nervous eyes. Since being at the prison, she hardly saw them fight but ever since the prison raid, it was like they were challenging each other. 

Carl didn't say anything and walked around the couch, helping his push it against the door. Rick wheezed in pain. "This'll have to do for the night." He told them.

Mia hopped down from the stool she was standing on and sat down on one of the chairs across from them. Rick sat down on the couch and looked through the bag of food. He held up a bag of chips. "Are you going to have some?" Carl asked.

"You and Mia should eat." He suggested.

"We should save it."

Rick looked at him in disbelief. He held the bag towards Mia. "Mia?" He offered.

She shook her head slightly even though she was starving. She was too nervous to eat. "No, I'm okay. Thank you."

He walked back to Carl and held the bag up. "Hey—"

"I don't want any." His son snapped again.

"Eat it!" He shot back and threw the food on the floor. "Now."

Mia flinched at their tones.

Rick limped out of the room to go to the bathroom and left the two teenagers alone. The silence was awkward. Carl glanced at the girl. "You should eat something." He uttered.

"Why are you acting like this?" She asked, ignoring his request.

He rolled his eyes. "I'm not acting like anything."