Nineteen. heart to heart

XIX. heart to heart

      Mia missed Maggie

      Mia missed Maggie. She missed everyone, really, but her heart hurt more when she thought of Maggie Rhee, so much that it hurt to breathe. She saved her life. Have her another chance to live, to be a kid. Maybe she would see her in another life. If this one wasn't enough, there would be so much time on the other side. A better place, a safer place where they could be together. Where Mia could be with everyone.

Carl's mood was still down at the mention of his baby sister. Though the talk she had with him made him feel slightly better, she could see that he was upset. She hoped the run they would be going on with Michonne would somehow lift his spirits.

She walked into his room and saw him putting his hat on. "Are you ready?" She spoke.

Carl glanced at her and nodded, not saying a word. A frown threaten to appear on her lips but she pushed it back and gave him a sad smile. The two of them walked down the stairs to meet with Michonne.

"How long you think you'll be?" Rick asked after the walked outside.

"Fill a couple bags, shouldn't be too long." Michonne answered.

He checked his watch. "It's 8:15 now." He mentioned.

"We'll be back by noon."

Rick nodded and looked at the teens. "All right, you follow her lead. You understand?" He told them.

He handed the gun to Carl. The son took it with no words. Rick noticed something was wrong. "Hey. Everything okay?" He spoke quietly.

Carl nodded his pain off. "Yeah, I'm just. . . hungry." He partially lied.

Mia nodded with a hum. "I felt that."

Rick looked around them and patted Carl on the back. "All right, I'll see you in a couple hours."

"Are you sure you don't want one of us to stay with you?" She asked the man, a small part of her afraid of leaving him alone while they were gone.

He cracked a smile and put his hand on her shoulder. "I'll be just fine, Mia. Thank you for taking care of me."

She blushed shyly and smiled back. She walked with Michonne and Carl down the empty street. She glanced at him occasionally, looking for any sign of joy in his eyes. But who was she kidding? Carl couldn't remember the last time he felt joy. He only ever felt it when he was around his loved ones and how he was worried the rest of them were dead.

They scoped out an abandoned house. Mia's hand clutched the strap of her bag tightly while the other brushed against the walls as she walked down the hallway. She thought about the family that once lived there. Did they have children? Were they a big family? A happy one?

She walked into a room and could immediately see it was once a child's room. A small bed with a baby pink bed comforter. Baby pink and white pillows. Star stickers were placed on the ceiling above. Coloring books and crayons were scattered on the carpeted floor. A half empty toy chest was placed in the corner.