Twenty Two. as long as I have you

XXII. as long as I have you

      Mia was on edge as she followed Alex out the building

Mia was on edge as she followed Alex out the building. She was waiting for something to happen. The way they kept referring to it as a sanctuary weirded her out. Something that seemed so perfect was bound to have a flaw somewhere. "So how long's this place been here?" Daryl spoke.

"Since almost the start," Alex answered. "When all the camps for overrun, people started finding this place. I think it was instinct, you know?"

Her eyes widened when she saw an outdoor area that looked to have a garden. There were tables with umbrella over them and a grill where a woman was standing. It put her on the edge even more.

"Hi," the woman greeted them with a smile. "Heard you came in the back door. Smart. You'll fit right in here."

Mia found herself standing closer to Carl as she listened to her talk. It was so strange. She was grilling what looked like meat.

"Hey, Mary, would you fix each of these new folks a plate for me?" Alex asked.

"Why do you do it?" Michonne voiced, just as suspicious as them. "Why do you let people in?"

"The more people become a part of us, we get stronger. That's why we put up the signs. Invite people in. It's how we survive."

He handed Carl a white plate with meat on it. Then he handed one to Mia and she cautiously took it, but she only stared at it. She let out a gasp and dropped the plate when Rick smacked one of his hand and pointed his gun to the side of his head. Mia took out her weapon and held it up.

Rick took a pocket watch out of Alex's pocket. "Where the hell did you get this watch?" He said roughly.

Mia pointed her gun to the people watching them. Rick repeated his question. Alex shook in fear in his hold. "You want answers? You want anything else?  You get 'em when you out down the gun."

"I see your man on the roof with a sniper rifle," Rick informed and turned them in the direction of the man that stood on top of the roof. "How good's him aim?  Where'd you get the watch?"

Mia slowly moved the gun around, keeping her eyes wide and clear for any sign of trouble. Daryl moved closer to her with his bow raised.

He repeated the question again, louder and rougher.

"Don't do anything!" Alex shouted at the man with the rifle. "I have this! You just put it down. You put it down!"

The man obliged and slowly put the rifle down.

"You want to listen to me. There's a lot of us."

But Rick wasn't backing down. "Where did you get the watch?" He repeated the question in a threatening manor.

"I got it off of a dead one." Alex finally said with his shaky hands raised. "I didn't think he'd need it."

He jerked him in the direction of the others. "What about the riot gear? The poncho?"