Chapter 18

Micah POV:

We sat in the library opposite each other, me reading the newspaper and her one of the books I had bought for her.

But for the past 5 minutes I felt her eyes and her stare on me. "You know I can feel your stare right?" I glanced up at her, "what are you thinking about love?".

She glanced to the side like she hasn't been staring at me and probably thought about the same question.

"I was wondering about the three parallel scars on your stomach, they seem to be pretty deep". "So you noticed them huh?". I dropped the newspapers in my lap and uncrossed my legs.

"Of course I did, not like I haven't looked at you a million times", She huffed the last part while crossing her arms. I got up and slowly walked over to her.

"We started this relationship on so many secrets and hiding, if we're gonna make this work then no more secrets" she stood up so we were eye to eye, "I know" I said and gave her a gentle kiss.

We sat back on the couch together, her legs in my lap. "So I told you about how my mother was killed a few years after Magnus was born" I said while rubbing her legs.

"Well after that it only got worse, all the other kids started picking on me, I got beaten a lot for a lot of things, even things that weren't my mistake".

"But the top of all the bullying and the one who enjoyed making me suffer most was Magnus, gosh I was such a scrawny little kid" I chuckled sadly and smiled at the painful memories of my crappy childhood that came back, but never enough to reach my eyes before it was gone the next minute.

"One day when I was 17, right after Magnus 13th birthday party, I had all these depressing thoughts of how I couldn't live this crappy life forever and things like that.

I missed my mum so much, every day, and I kept thinking of how she would never want this life for me and how disappointed she would be if she was there to see me.

One day I decided to try and escape it all, I had no idea what would happen with me afterwards if I managed to escape or what I would do, I thought the unknown was better than that life.

I zone out as I remember it like it was yesterday.

Micah's memory:

This was probably a stupid idea, I should probably go back. I stood in one of hallways on the ground floor with a mop and a bucket where one of Magnus friends had told me to mop the floor again, even though I already did it earlier today.

No, no! I can't let those stupid thoughts rule me. What wouldn't mama think if she saw how my life turned out after she left, she would have fought to at least have me in school or something like the others.

I signed heavily. I kept mopping and held my head down whenever someone passed by. Better to just keep your head down and seem like you're focussed on your task to avoid getting a passing snarky comment or picking.

I watched two boys stumble through the foyer, playfully pushing each other, smiling and laughing. What I wouldn't give to be like that.

I have thought about my escape route all day. I'm normally not allowed in the kitchen unless I'm there to clean, so I just need to say that madam Labarous sent me to come clean and then I could escape through the back door that led out to the small vegetable garden and the forest.

I walked with a bucket and some soaps toward the kitchen when I was stopped by a guard. "What are you doing down here, you know you're not allowed in the kitchen?" He asked".