Chapter 64 - Sleep

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

He blinked. The rain was stopping. The voices were becoming louder. He could hear the screams, the cries. He wondered for a moment if perhaps it was his family calling out to him, searching for him, but then again would they care?

[No.] The childlike voice he had grown accustomed to hearing whispered next to him. [Well...] the voice continued, [They wouldn't for me, but for you, maybe.]

He took in a shuddering breath. He could barely process what the other Aether was saying. The pain was becoming too much to bear.

[Oh, you'll survive.] The voice scoffed and Aether could almost imagine that the other Aether was rolling his eyes at him.

He tried to roll his head to the side, to catch a glimpse of the other Aether, but his body refused to move. His fingers were growing cold. The grass that had been tickling his skin was now nonexistent. He was sure that death was getting ready to welcome him.

A broken laugh left his lips. The sound splintering to the ears. He couldn't help but think that perhaps if he died he would go back to his own world. 'Will I see my parents again? Will I wake up in the hospital or back in my room? Did any time pass or would this all be like a dream?'

He wanted to smile at the thought of waking up back in his world, but the faces of the people he had met here kept stopping him. Mina, Neal and Nox. Although a lot of people here were not the most pleasant, he still found some who were.

Did he want to leave?

[Is the world you come from better than here?] As if he had heard what he was thinking the previous Aether butted in with his own questions.

He didn't know how to answer that. In a way it was better. There was no one trying to kill you with any chance they got nor were there deadly creatures that could harm you if you weren't careful. School life was normal and in some cases fun. Although social status still existed, people didn't have to kill one another to climb to the top.

To a soul that only knew what hate and neglect was, his world could be something to love and thrive in, but to him?

What was it to him?

He remembered the banquet hall. It was filled to the brim with people and yet out of all those people not a single one was there for him. They were there for themselves. Perhaps that was why he found comfort in the figure at the banquet. He couldn't remember what they looked like nor what they sounded like, but they were kind and honest. Something he hadn't encountered in a long time in that world. And although this world was brutal. At least he found some people that genuinely cared for him.

[See! You do better here.] The voice quickly butted in, [You should stay here permanently and-and- and I can handle your affairs in the other world. What do you think?]

His eyes squinted. 'But my family.' It was a weak excuse. He hadn't seen his family in a hot minute. If he were to go back and act differently they probably wouldn't even realize it.

[It's okay! I'll take care of everything. I promise! I won't make any mistakes, you can trust me. Pleaseeeeee!]

Aether let out a cracked chuckle. 'He is still very much a child, but..'

[Pleaseeeee! Pleaseeee! I promise I'll take care of everything! Please! This is the only thing I'll ask from you! I won't harm anyone or mention anything I shouldn't!]

Aether was silent and the voice became desperate.

[You should know better than anyone what my life was like here. If-if I stay here...if I am reborn...] the voice went quiet, his soft mumbling incoherent to Aether.

The voices' worries were invalid. If he were to be reborn, he would most likely not remember what had transpired in his first life. Although he wanted to ease the others' worries in being reborn in this world, he couldn't find it in his heart to say such words.

He glanced at the sky. It was so pretty.

He closed his eyes and took a shuddering breath. A decision already made.

The voice moved next to him as if he were jumping up and down. [Yes! Thank you! Thank you! You will not regret this!]

Aether smiled, but then quickly furrowed his brows. He didn't even know how he got here, so how would-

[Don't worry about that. I can just ask the goddess to send me. She sent you here she can send me there!]

Goddess...what are you-

[Oh, I have to go now. Thank you, really. Thank you. I truly hope you enjoy your new life.]

'No! Wait...what goddess?' Aether tried to call out to the voice, but it was too late. His vision started to become hazy and now he couldn't even feel his limbs. He knew blood was seeping from his body, but he couldn't even register where the wounds were. He let out a shuddering breath.

Obviously he was losing blood at a faster rate than he had thought.

Just when he was about to close his eyes and accept his fate, he heard a slight crunch of leaves next to him. He blinked, though his eyes only opened half way. Through the shadows he could just barely make out a form looming over him. Even though the figure was so close to him, his vision was so fuzzy that he couldn't make out who it was.

He let out a dry cough, "W..wh-o?"

The figure didn't answer. Instead they leaned down. Aether's head was positioned into the neck of the person, not giving him any time to even attempt to gaze at the person's face. An arm was placed on his back and another arm under his knees.

Aether wanted to struggle as he was lifted up and off the ground, but his body was like lead. He couldn't even move if he wanted to. He blinked through his hazy vision and tried to turn his head to meet the eyes of the person who was carrying him. The figure seemed to know what he was trying to do. They willingly moved their head and helped lift his head up, but before Aether could see the person's face, his vision darkened and he found himself welcoming sleep.

                                                                         End of Volume One