Chapter 20 - Break through

Erik Frenzel was known for his cruel training methods. In the novel, the soldiers under the first Prince often talked about their horror training days.

["I was young and ignorant." Spoke to one of the soldiers. His face was covered by the shadow of the fire, but the prince was still able to see the faintest look of reminiscence mixed with fear. "My father tried to warn me and I should have listened." The soldier laughed and covered half his face as if he had gone crazy. "What I went through in those short three months was more terrifying than any war I have ever fought."]

It made Aether both curious and scared of the man named Erik Frenzel and now that he was living in the novel, he was far more concerned about what he was about to witness.

His father led him to the edge of the training field, right in front of a large double staircase that led to the back of the mansion. Aether had never been to this part of the mansion. Sense being here he had little to no time to take the time to explore the mansion, but he had a feeling that he wouldn't want to be exploring this part of the mansion ever again.

His father snapped his fingers and a person covered in shadows arrived at his fathers side. Aether had only seen these figures from afar, but up close he could see that the person covered in shadows was actually a soldier dressed entirely in black. This one was a female. Her long black hair was tied up into a high ponytail and except for her dark blue eyes her entire face and skin were covered by black cloth and clothes. Her aura was almost non existent and her silent approach made her come off even more intimidating than she should have.

"Chair." His father ordered.

Without a word she nodded and brought over a single wooden chair from the side. One that had some cracks running up its sides. Aether gave both her and his father a questioning gaze as the seat was placed directly behind him.

Without a word his father grabbed him by the shoulders and sat him down on the chair. From the seat, Aether had a perfect view of Leon battling the other seven shadowed figures. It was chaotic and even more ferocious than before.

Although Leon was further away, Aether could still see the bloody gaze in his eyes. There was a gash on his forehead and blood was dripping down his face and into his eyes. Yet, his eyes were still open and there was a strange glint in his eyes. Aether didn't want to believe it, but the small smile gracing Leon's face proved his hunch.

Leon was enjoying this.

He turned his gaze away. For a moment he had forgotten that Leon was just as mad as everyone else in this novel. The novel, strictly speaking, focused on the first prince, but the foundation of the novel was that everyone wanted power and they would do anything to attain it. Leon was no exception.

He bit his lip, he had a bad feeling. "Father?" He glanced up at his father, hiding his worry with a curious smile instead. "Why am I sitting here?"

His father didn't look at him, instead his gaze was focused on the battle before them. The hands on his shoulder tightened just a bit before his father shifted his weight and leaned down until his face was next to his.

"Your brother is going through...a trial of sorts." His father whispered, toying with the word 'trial' as he spoke. "This trial is based on a theory, it is a bit difficult to prove, but not for a Frenzel, never for a Frenzel." His father's voice hardened. "After his little mishap at the Palace this is the least he could do." His father squeezed his shoulders lightly.

"A trial?" Aether mumbled. He didn't remember reading anything about a trial. Wait. "Little mishap?" Aether turned to face his father.

His father ignored him and continued to speak, "You see this theory is rather interesting. It was developed by a member of the Royal Researchers. It states that a unique ability could grow if the person was capable and willing to go through a tedious trial." His father scoffed, "This theory hasn't been proven. Mainly due to the grueling and painful experience that the person has to go through, spineless bastards." He mumbled the last part.