Chapter 38 - The Royal Family

Nox walked leisurely through the front garden of the Palace. It was well past midnight and the grounds were practically empty, save a few roaming guards. They didn't stop when they saw him, only bowing their heads and moving on with their rotation.

In this way he made it to the Palace entrance without any problems. The two knights guarding the door bowed and opened the door for him, quickly closing it when he just barely passed the threshold. Nox quickly made his way towards the stairs, ready to sneak into his room and get ready for tomorrow, but his plan was quickly thwarted by one of his pesky brothers. He clicked his tongue.

"Where have you been?" Lucian stood near the bottom of the stairs, hidden by the darkness. His arms were crossed and his eyes were closed as he leaned against the wall.

Nox had no intention of interacting with his brother and playing into his whims. Purposely, he avoided looking in Lucian's direction and continued to walk up the stairs.

Lucian snarled and with a swift leap, he blocked Nox on the stairs and roughly grabbed him by the shoulders. Lucian's eyes were bloodshot and a drifting scent of alcohol wafted from his mouth as he spoke. "You didn't answer my question." Lucian's face was mere inches from Nox's. His voice was dripping with malice, "Where have you been?"

Nox's dull eyes gazed at Lucian and slowly he smirked. It wasn't hard to guess where his dear older brother was. If the alcohol on his breath and the lingering rose scented perfume was anything to go by, then it seems his dear brother had visited yet another one of his 'Lovers'.

Nox shot his brother a knowing look and watched with satisfaction as Lucian snarled out in anger. Lucian let go of Nox for a single second, shifting his hold and using one hand to grip the collar of Nox's shirt and the other to gather light. He was ready to throw it directly into Nox's face, but stopped when a pair of small chuckles came from the top of the stairs.

Nox could tell that Lucian's anger was boiling at this point. It was easy to notice the aggravation and annoyance seeping into his voice as he turned around and glared at the two identical children smirking upstairs. "Get lost, this has nothing to do with you."

Ren and Rael, like the little devils they were, let out another mocking laugh, "It has everything to do with us." Rael crossed his arms, smirking.

"No. It doesn't."

Ren crossed his arms and with an almost identical smile he repeated in a sing a long voice, "Yes it does~"

Nox could hear Lucian's teeth grind against each other as he seethed through clenched teeth "Listen you little imbecil-"

"No. You listen." Rael interrupted, his eyes cold. "Father wants us all to report to him. Now." And with that the two spun on their heels and left with a little peep in their step.

Nox had to give it to the two. Their actions were starting to get more like their brothers, ruthless and uncaring, though their childlike appearance killed the aura making it look more like children trying to act tough.

Nox rolled his eyes as Lucian snarled at their retreating backs. Lucian snapped back at Nox, "Don't think I don't know what you have been up to behind our backs."

Nox let his smile drop. He narrowed his eyes and clenched his hands. He even let the shadows at his feet shake just enough to look as if he were threatened by what the other was saying.

Lucian glanced at his face rather than at the shadows. He let out a puff of air and shook his head, "Whatever you may be thinking in that small mind of yours, you better stop now. We wouldn't want another accident like last time. Right?" Lucian patted him on the shoulder before shoving him back.